Tuition Waiver Programs
Tuition Waiver Policy & Procedures
Students need to apply for a tuition waiver through the appropriate office listed below:
Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs
Attn: Tuition Waiver Coordinator
321 West Main St, Suite 390
Louisville, KY 40202
Phone: (502) 595-4447
Toll-Free (800) 928-4012
For additional information on the provisions of KRS 164-505, 507, 512 and 515 please contact the Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs listed above. The application form and supporting documentation needed for the certification of tuition waivers can be found on their web as well.
Once the application has been made and the student’s eligibility for the tuition waiver is confirmed, the certificate or letter of entitlement will be sent to WKU and under the provision of KRS 164-505 and 164-515 certain children of Kentucky war veterans are eligible for assistance from the Commonwealth of Kentucky. All persons eligible under this program must meet admissions requirements and submit all necessary documents establishing eligibility under the program to Dottie Lake at WKU.
If a currently enrolled student has been certified and would have been eligible for a prior semester in which he/she was enrolled and the prior semester is part of the current academic year, the tuition waiver will be granted as applicable to the prior semester.
If a currently enrolled student has been certified as eligible for a prior semester in which he/she was enrolled, but the semester is not part of the current academic year, approval to waive fees must be granted by the Department of Student Financial Assistance’s Tuition Waiver Committee.
If a student is not currently enrolled and has been certified as eligible for a prior semester in which he/she was enrolled, and the semester is not part of the current academic year, the waiver will not be granted.
Generally, children of Kentuckians who were killed in military action or who were permanently and totally disabled in wartime military services are eligible to have their tuition waived. This waiver does not cover special fees or additional fees that are charged for certain courses.
Click on the links below to obtain more information about the following tuition waivers:
- Dependents of Deceased Employees Participating in State-Administered Retirement Systems (KRS 164-2841) http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/164-00/2841.pdf
Free tuition at state-supported school for survivor of police officer, firefighter, or volunteer firefighter killed in line of duty -- Free tuition at state-supported school for survivor of other state-administered retirement system participants who died as a result of duty-related injury – Limitation
- Dependents of Deceased Kentucky Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters (KRS 164.2841)
- Dependents of Disabled Employees Participating in State-Administered Retirement Systems (KRS164.2842) http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/164-00/2842.PDF
Free tuition at state-supported school for survivor of police officer, firefighter, or volunteer firefighter permanently and totally disabled in line of duty -- Free tuition at state-supported school for survivor of other state-administered retirement system participants disabled as a result of duty-related injury.
- Dependents of Disabled Kentucky Law Enforcement Officers & Firefighters (KRS 164.2842)
- Dependents of Deceased or Totally Disabled Kentucky Veterans (KRS 164.505, 507. 512 and 515)
- 164.505 Waiver of Tuition for dependents, widow, or widower of members of the Armed Forces or of members of the National Guard killed while in service or having died as a result of service-connected disability.
- 164.507 Waiver of Tuition fee for deceased veteran's spouse or child under age 26.
- 164.512 Tuition waiver for disabled child of veteran.
- 164.515 Exemption from tuition for spouse or child under age 26 of permanently disabled member of the National Guard, war veteran, prisoner of war, or member of the Armed Services missing in action -- Conditions.
Western Kentucky University
Student Financial Assistance
Potter Hall, 3rd floor