Women in Transition (WIT)
at South Campus
Jennifer Howard, Megan Thompson, and Kim Cunningham
accepting the award from Kristen Miller and Julie Ransdell.
The WKU Sisterhood, a group of women who generously donated $1000.00 each to fund a worthy cause, awarded Women in Transition a grant of $36,850.
"Helping Women Expand Their Horizons"
Women in Transition is an organization for non-traditional female students at Western Kentucky University. The goal of WIT is to assist its members in achieving their goal of obtaining a college degree while meeting the demands of work, family and school. Members of WIT provide each other with support and encouragement. WIT also provides a room where members can go to relax, study and enjoy the company of others who are in similar situations. Membership in WIT can lead to friendships that will take you through college and beyond. We hope that you will consider becoming a member of WIT today!
WIT Mission Statement
- Women in Transition is a non-profit student organization dedicated to furthering the academic and personal development of non-traditional female students.
- The objectives of WIT shall be:
- To encourage women to pursue a college education.
- To ease non-traditional women in their adjustment to university life.
- To overcome personal and institutional obstacles which make it difficult for them to complete their degree program.
- To strengthen their courage and determination to fulfill their educational goals by putting them in contact with other women who have successfully made the adjustment to student life.
- To be an advocate for non-traditional women students with the central administration of the university, with various student services throughout the university, and with the faculty.
- To maintain an atmosphere of hospitality, openness, and collegiality throughout the organization.
If you're a woman, and ANY of the following applies to you, then you can be a member of WIT.
- Your are over 25 years of age and/or
- You are married and/or
- You have children and/or
- You are returning to school after a break from college and/or
- Your do not fit into the category of a traditional student for other reasons.
The WIT room is located at the Commonwealth School on the South Campus. It is located in Room 301. This room is equipped with computers (with internet access), a printer, couches and chairs, a table for eating, microwave, refrigerator, and a coffeemaker. It’s the perfect place to relax between classes, visit with friends, or work on homework.
WIT Honor Code
- The printer is for WIT business and homework only. Copies (for financial reasons) should be kept to a minimum. No color copies should be made unless they are for WIT business and have been approved by a WIT officer.
- If you are the last one to leave the room, make sure the computers and printers are turned off. Lock the cabinet and desk containing the printer and computer. Please turn off the lights and lock the door.
- Room hours are from 7:30 am to 5:15 pm on Mon. - Thurs. and 7:30 am to 4:30 pm on Friday.
- Please clean up after yourself and straighten up the room if it is needed.
- To enter the room, enter the code on the number pad..
- Please remove any items from the refrigerator each week. Failure to do so may result in their removal without your permission.