Hanna (John) Khouryieh, PhD
Office: EST 218
- Ph.D., Food Science, Kansas State University, 2006
- M.S., Food Science, Kansas State University, 2003
- B.S., Biology, Birzeit University, 1997
- Assistant Professor, Western Kentucky University, 2010-Pres
- Research Faulty/Sr. Reserach Scientist, Delaware State University, 2007 - 2010
- Graduate Research Assistant, Kansas State University, 2001 - 2006
Awards & Honors
- WKU First Time Principal Investigator Award, 2014.
- Travel Award, Texture Technologies Corp., 2008
- American Institute of Baking Scholarship, awarded to attend AIB, 2006
- College of Agriculture Scholarship, Kansas State University, 2004/2005
- Joseph Zayas Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Research in Physical and Chemical Properties of Food at Kansas State University, 2004-2005
- Phi Tau Sigma, the Honor Society of Food Science, Kansas State University
- Gamma Sigma Delta, the Honor Society of Agriculture, Kansas State University
My research interests are diverse but lie mostly in the area of food chemistry and food processing. My research aims to understand the compositions of foods and their chemical and physical changes that undergo during handling, processing and storage, and to evaluate their physicochemical and sensory properties to enhance food quality, safety, stability and nutritive value.
Research interests include:
- Food protein-polysaccharide complexes as a delivery methods for improved functional properties
- Structure-function and microstructural properties of food biopolymers in food systems
- Rheological and textural properties of food systems (steady shear, dynamic, viscoelastic, and solid behavior of food)
- Physicochemical, microstructure, texture, rheology, and sensory properties of food products
- Development of value-added functional foods (e.g., gluten-free, low-calorie, sugar-free, omega-3 products)
- Khouryieh H., Shen S., Stone M., Gipe A., and Willians T. An Integrated Approach to Enhance the Safety of Locally Grown Fresh Produce Through Research and Extension. Funded by USDA/NIFA/AFRI Challenge Program. $209,208.
- Khouryieh H. Enhancing the Oxidative Stability of Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids into Foods Using Combinations of Protein and Polysaccharide Biopolymers. Funded by WKU’s RCAP Grant. $18,288.
Professional Memberships & Activities
- Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), 2002-Present
- American Chemical Society 2013-Present
- Member, American Association of Cereal Chemistry (AACC), 2004-2007
- Book Reviewer, John Wiley and Sons
- Proposal reviewer for Kentucky SBIR/STTR Phase Double Zero. 2014.
- Proposal review panel for USDA/NIFA SBIR Phase I Food Science and Nutrition, 2014 (15 proposals).
- Reviewer for the WKU’s Faculty-Undergraduate Student Engagement (FUSE) Grants, April and October 2013.
- Ad hoc reviewer for many journals including: Journal of Food Science, Journal of Applied Rheology, International Journal of Food Science and Technology, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, and Journal of Food Quality.
Courses I teach at WKU:
- AMS 301 - Intro to Food Science and Technology
- AMS 303 - Food Laws & Regulations
- AMS 352 - Food Processing: Unit Operations
- AMS 381 - Food Quality Assurance
- AMS 395 - Fundamentals of HACCP
- AMS 443 - Food Packaging
- AMS 462 - Commodity Food Processing
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications (Last 5 years)
- Marston K., KhouryiehH, and AramouniF. Evaluation of sorghum flour functionality and quality characteristics of gluten-free bread and cake as affected by ozone treatment. Food Science and Technology International. doi: 10.1177/1082013214559311
- Khouryieh H., Puli G., Williams K., and Aramouni F. 2015. Effects of Xanthan-Locust Bean Gum Mixtures on the Physicochemical Properties and Oxidative Stability of Whey Protein Stabilized Oil-In-Water Emulsions. Food Chemistry, 67: 340-348.
- Trappey E.F., Khouryieh H., Aramouni F., and Herald T. 2015. Effect of sorghum flour composition and particle size on quality properties of gluten-free bread. Food Science and Technology International, 21(3): 188-202.
- Winger M., Khouryieh H., Aramouni F., and Herald T. 2014. Sorghum flour characterization and evaluation in gluten free flour tortilla. Journal of Food Quality, 37: 95-106.
- Khouryieh H. and Aramouni F. 2013. Effect of flaxseed flour incorporation on the physical properties and consumer acceptability of cereal bars. Food Science and Technology International, 19(6): 549-556.
- Khouryieh H. and Aramouni F. 2012. Physical and sensory characteristics of cookies prepared with flaxseed flour. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 92(11): 2366-2372.
- Song T., Khouryieh H., AbuGhazaleh A., Moussa M.M.E., Hassan O., and Ibrahim S. 2011. Sensory properties and viability of probiotic microorganisms in chocolate ice cream supplemented with omega-3 fatty acids. Milchwissenschaft/Milk Science International, 66(2): 172-175.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Abstracts
- Vincent Z., Khouryieh H., Stone M., Shen S., Willians T., and Daday J. 2015. An Assessment of Food Safety Practices at Farmers' Markets in Kentucky. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, July 14, Chicago, IL. Book of Abstracts (abs.).
- Kumar Chityala P., Khouryieh H., and Williams K. 2014. Effect of xanthan-guar synergism on the stability of oil-in-water emulsions. 248th American Chemical Society National Meeting, August 11, San Francisco, CA (abs. 200).
- Kumar Chityala P., Khouryieh H., and Williams K. 2014. Evaluation of xanthan/enzymatically modified guar gum mixtures in oil-in-water emulsions. 2014 Southeastern Regional Meeting. Nashville, Tennessee.
- Khouryieh H., Puli G., and Williams K. 2013. Effect of xanthan-locust bean gum mixtures on the physicochemical properties of oil-in-water emulsions. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, July 16, Chicago, IL. Book of Abstracts (abs.255-122).
- Hayek S., Ibrahim S., and Khouryieh H. 2011. Substituting applesauce for fat (butter) in chocolate chips cookie. 241th American Chemical Society Meeting, March 29, Anaheim, CA (abs. 112).
- Khouryieh H., Murphy A., Besong S., Giesecke C., and Brown, D. 2010. Consumer acceptability of flaxseed-fortified cookies. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, July 16, Chicago, IL. Book of Abstracts (abs. 160-21).
- Hassan O., Isikhuemhen O.S., Ibrhaim S.A., Song D., and Khouryieh H. 2010. Effect of shiitake mushroom extract on viability of probiotics in milk during refrigerated storage. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, July 18, Chicago, IL. Book of Abstracts (abs. 032-02).
- Gyawali R., Ibrahim S.A., Song D., and Khouryieh H. 2010. Antimicrobial effect of copper alone or in combination with lactic acid on growth of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in laboratory medium and on the surface of lettuce and tomatoes. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, July 19, Chicago, IL. Book of Abstracts (abs.137-09).
- Addy P., Atilola O.A., Song D., Ibrahim S.A., and Khouryieh H. 2010. Sensory characteristics and acceptability of cranberries flavored yogurt. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, July 19, Chicago, IL. Book of Abstracts (abs. 152-18).
- Murphy A., Khouryieh H., Besong S., and Ibrahim S. 2009. Physical properties of cookies containing flaxseed flour. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Meeting, June 6-June 10, Anaheim, CA. Book of Abstracts (abs. 029-28).
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,