Dr. Muhammad Jahan
- AMS 217: Industrial Materials
- AMS 271: Industrial Statistics/Quality Improvement
- AMS 310: Work Design/Ergonomics
- AMS 394: Lean Manufacturing
- AMS 588: Product Development
- AMS 599: Thesis Research and Writing
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Micro and Nano Machining
- Manufacturing Processes
- SPM based nano-lithography
- Materials characterization
- Sustainable Machining of Aerospace Materials
- Micromachining of Soft Materials using Desktop Milling and Turning Machines
- Nanopatterning of Thin Film using Scanning Probe Microscope based Lithography
- Micro-electro-discharge machining (micro-EDM) of innovative materials
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Mechanical Engineering
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Major in Manufacturing
National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh
Publications and Grants
Most recent publications (at WKU):
- Lan Xu, Venkata Ramana Manda, Louis McNamara, Muhammad P. Jahan, Hemali Rathnayake and Nathan I Hammer, Covalent Synthesis of Perylenediimide-Bridged Silsesquioxane Nanostructures and Their Electronic Propeties, RSC Adv., 2014, 4 (57), 30172 - 30179
- M.P. Jahan, M. Rahman and Y.S. Wong, Micro-EDM: processes, varieties and applications, in the book "Comprehensive Materials processing", Volume 11: Advanced Machining Technologies, chapter 14, pp. 333-371, ISBN: 978-0-08-096533-8; Editor in Chief: Saleem Hashmi, Elsevier, May 2014.
- M. Rahman, M.P. Jahan, A.B.M.A. Asad, and Y.S. Wong, Compound and Hybrid Micromachining Processes, in the book "Comprehensive Materials processing", Volume 11: Advanced Machining Technologies, chapter 5, pp. 89-112,ISBN: 978-0-08-096533-8; Editor in Chief: Saleem Hashmi, Elsevier, May 2014.
- Jahan, M. P; “Micro-Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)”; in the book “NONTRADITIONAL MACHINING PROCESSES: Research advances” (Editor: Prof. J. Paulo Davim), Chapter 4, pp. 111 – 153, Springer, 2013,
- Jahan, M. P.; Virwani, K. R.; Rajurkar, K. P.; Malshe, A. P.; “A Comparative Study of the Dry and Wet Nano-scale Electro-machining”, Procedia CIRP, Vol. 6, pp. 627–632, 2013.
- Rajurkar, K. P.; Jahan, M. P.; Malshe, A. P.; “A Review of the Nano Scale Electro-machining (nano-EM) Processes”, In Proceedings of COPEN-8: 2013, Vol. 1, pp. 2-24, International Conference on Precision, Meso, Micro and Nano Engineering, NIT Calicut, Kerala, India, December 13-15, 2013
- Jahan, M. P.; Rajurkar, K. P.; Malshe, A. P.; “Understanding Material Removal Process and Heat Affected Zone in Nano-metric Electro-machining of Graphene”, Transaction of NAMRI/SME, 2013, Vol. 41, pp. 85-94. North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC 2013), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, June 10-14, 2013.
Funded research grants (at WKU):
- Muhammad P. Jahan (PI), Hemali Rathnayake, Rajalingam Dakshinamurthy, Sanju Gupta, MRI: Acquisition of an Analytical Scanning Electron Microscope for Multidisciplinary Research and Education at a PUI, NSF PROPOSAL NUMBER 1429563, $193,695.00 [Awarded].
- Jahan, M.P. (PI) with Jack Wassom (Student),Study of the effect of operating parameters on the machining characteristics during micro-electro-discharge machining of Ti-6Al-4V, Faculty–Undergraduate Student Engagement (FUSE) award #: 14-FA123, WKU, 2014, $4500 [Awarded].
- Jahan, M.P. (PI) with Michael Harruff (Student), A Comparative Study of the Micro-milling Machinability of Aluminum, Copper and Brass Using Coated and Uncoated Tungsten Carbide Tool, Faculty–Undergraduate Student Engagement (FUSE) award #: 14-FA125, WKU, 2014, $4500 [Awarded].
- Jahan, M.P. (PI) with Jack Wassom (Student), Characterization of micro electro-discharge machined surface using AFM, SEM and EDX, Gatton Research Grant, 2014, $3000 [Awarded]
- Hemali P Rathnayake (PI), Rajalingam Dakshinamurthy, Muhammad P. Jahan (Co-PI), Rodney A King, Shivendra V Sahi, MRI: Acquisition of an Analytical Transmission Electron Microscope with Cryogenic Imaging Capabilites for Research and Teaching at a PUI, NSF PROPOSAL NUMBER 1338072, $425,000 [Awarded].
- Jahan, M.P. (PI), Gregory K. Arbuckle, Proposal Title: “Sustainable Machining of Aerospace Materials, RCAP Internal funding, WKU – Fall 2012, $14,000 + $6,000 (Department share) [Awarded].
- Jahan, M.P. (PI), A Comparative Study on the Micro-Turning of Copper, Brass, and Aluminum, Faculty–Undergraduate Student Engagement (FUSE) award #: 13-FA137, WKU Spring 2012, $4500 [Awarded].
- Jahan, M.P. (PI), Micro Scale Electrical Discharge Machining of Aerospace Materials, RCAP Internal funding, WKU, Fall 2013, $8,000 + $3,000 (College Share) [Awarded].