Department of Educational Administration, Leadership & Research - Position ID: 998176
Back to: Positions Available
The College of Education and Behavioral Sciences at Western Kentucky University invites nominations and applications for the position of Department Head of the Department of Educational Administration, Leadership & Research. The successful candidate will be an experienced educator with demonstrated leadership capacity to support the Department's partnerships with WKU and Kentucky's broader educational community.
The Department offers the following degrees/certifications: School Principal – Rank I and certification; Supervisor of Instruction – Rank I and certification; Director of Pupil Personnel – Rank I and certification; Superintendent – certification; Specialist in Education – School Administration; and Master of Arts in Education – Adult Education. The Department consists of 10 full-time faculty and offers programs at three extended campus sites and in on-line, hybrid, and face-to-face formats. The Department has recently revised its principal preparation program, in accordance with guidelines issued by Kentucky's Educational Professionals Standards Board, to place a strong emphasis on the partnership between the university and area school districts in the training and development of aspiring administrators, with particular focus on rich and meaningful field-based practicum experiences. Additionally, the Department faculty plays a key role in the Ed.D. in Educational Leadership program housed in the College, approving program revisions, teaching leadership and research courses, and chairing and serving on doctoral dissertation committees.
Successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- An earned doctorate in P-12 educational administration, adult education, educational research, higher education administration, or related field
- A demonstrated record of success as a P-12 administrator at the school and district levels, or as an educational leader in higher education, adult education, educational research, or a related area
- A demonstrated capacity for effective leadership, management, and communication with all stakeholders
- A demonstrated capacity for professional service and successful teaching in one of the department's core areas
- A track record of/or capacity for publishing scholarly work and leading the Department's research agenda with a strong commitment to collaborative efforts with both the faculty and local school districts
- A demonstrated potential to serve on and chair doctoral committees
Candidates should submit a) a letter of application addressing the qualifications noted above; b) a statement of leadership philosophy; c) an updated curriculum vitae; d) a transcript from the doctoral-granting institute (an official copy will be required prior to an invitation for an on-campus interview; and e) contact information for 3-5 references who can speak authoritatively concerning the applicant's candidacy (including titles and how they are qualified to speak on the candidate's behalf). All materials should be sent to: Dr. Jacqueline Pope-Tarrence, EALR Department Head Search Committee, Western Kentucky University, 1906 College Heights Blvd 61030, Bowling Green, KY 42101. Please direct all inquiries to Dr. Jacqueline Pope-Tarrence at (270) 745-4661, or firstname.lastname@example.org. The committee will begin reviewing applications on April 12, 2013. Applications received by this date will receive full consideration. The preferred starting date for the position in July 1, 2013. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, including women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and disabled veterans. Western Kentucky University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Please visit our website: http://www.wku.edu