Educational Leadership Doctoral Program
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does this doctoral program require a dissertation?
- Yes, this doctoral program does require a dissertation.
- Is there an advisor I can meet with to discuss my options?
- If after reviewing the website, you are unsure which program specialization would
be the best fit for you, and would like to meet with an advisor, please email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Is it possible to continue to work full-time and complete the doctoral program?
- It is not only possible for you to continue to work full-time and complete the doctoral
program, but it is preferred. Our classes are a blended format of face-to-face, digital
media (Blackboard, ITV, Podcasts, etc.), and current work location. We are trying
to address adult learning theory and best practices in how we teach. Therefore, those
things that need to be done face-to-face are taught in that manner on weekends and
those elements that can be done effectively on-line are being done so. To insure that
students are learning, you will also apply techniques in on-the job settings through
assignments and practica.
- Are courses/meetings offered at extended campuses such as Elizabethtown or Owensboro
- Currently the face-to-face meetings are all being held on WKU's main campus; however,
as stated in the previous answer, the classes are a blended format and we are trying
to address adult learning in the most accommodating way possible.
- If I wanted to teach at a college level, which program specialization would be best
- None of the specializations- This is not a program designed to create or improve college
instructors; it is about educational leadership.
- Is it possible to earn Rank I status while earning my doctoral degree?
- Yes, it is possible but you must plan the programs separately both in the Office of
Doctoral Studies and with the Office of Educational Administration, Leadership, &
Research. For details concerning this process, please read more in the Graduate Studies
- If after I am in the doctoral program I decide to take a semester off, what should
- If you are truly not making progress toward degree completion (no classes, not working
on a practicum, the dissertation, etc.) in a particular semester/term, then registration
is not required. However, we would appreciate you contacting the Educational Leadership
Doctoral Program office to inform us, so we are aware of your decision. Also, note
that Graduate Studies requires students who are not registered for three consecutive
terms to update their record via the online application process.
- Does the program offer graduate assistantships?
- Although this program is designed for working professionals, there are a limited number
of competitive GA scholarships for students seeking to enroll full-time. We are currently
seeking persons who have strong research and/or P-12 backgrounds for these positions.
Applicants who desire to be considered for these positions should indicate this in
their Personal Statement,as part of their application.