International Student Teaching
- Indicate an interest in an international student teaching experience by checking the correct box when completing the application to student teach (February 1 – 15 for fall applicants, September 1 – 15 for spring applicants)
- Maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Complete and submit a Study Abroad Application (for the Study Abroad & Global Learning Office) http://www.wku.edu/studyabroad / submit SAGL application fee, $150
- Write a letter of interest to the Director of Teacher Services. Secure and provide two (2) letters of recommendation from WKU faculty members. Scan and upload letters to Study Abroad Application.
- Successful interview with the program faculty screening and selection team
- Check for scholarship availability through the Study Abroad Office prior to March 1st for Fall semester and before October 15th for Spring term (http://www.wku.edu/studyabroad/financial/scholarships.php)
- Attend orientation sessions as scheduled in preparation for international student teaching
- Successfully complete the first phase of student teaching, 12 weeks locally
- Successfully complete the Teacher Work Sample
- Obtain passport, immunizations, international Student Identification Card, and any other necessary documentation for foreign travel
- Go on-line and research the country of interest
EXPECTATIONS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT TEACHING PROGRAMS:
- WKU teacher education students will be placed as student teachers with area teachers at the host school for a period not to exceed four (4) weeks
- Host teachers will provide opportunities for WKU student teachers to teach and interact with students in their classrooms and will model teaching practices appropriate in the host school.
- WKU student teachers will serve as teacher assistants, observe in classrooms, teach English as appropriate, or complete other assignments which may be made by the host teacher.
- Placement of WKU student teachers would occur during the school year, when school is in session excluding examination periods.
- Host teachers will provide verbal and/or written feedback to the WKU student concerning the teaching skills of that student.
EXPECTATIONS FOR THE HOST:
- A host contact person with bilingual skills will arrange housing and meals for WKU teacher education students during their student teaching experience. WKU students will be responsible for payments of these services. Arrangements will be provided to the Director of Teacher Services at WKU at least one (1) month prior to travel.
- A host contact person with bilingual skills will assist WKU students with travel arrangements to and from the airport and in planning cultural field trips in and around the host country during their stay. All costs incurred in the travel will be the responsibility of the WKU students.
- The host contact person will be paid an amount determined by contractual agreement with that particular country by each student teacher.
- The host contact person will observe or will arrange for a qualified observer to visit the WKU student in the classroom in the host country, will meet to debrief with the student, and will submit a written report of these observations to the WKU Director of Teacher Services. All costs related to these procedures will be the responsibility of the WKU students. Costs related to these observations and the accompanying report will be specified as per contract.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT TEACHER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cooperate fully with the host contact person in terms of meetings and teaching requirements
- Keep a daily journal of experiences
- Submit a weekly blog or email to the Director of Teacher Services
- Take classroom pictures and/or videotape a teaching session if allowed by the host educators
- Participate in a de-briefing session with the Director of Teacher Services upon returning to WKU
- Participate in a summer conference presentation with fellow international student teachers and with the Director of Teacher Services following completion of the international student teaching experience
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,