Student Teaching Policy
Note: These requirements apply to current students. New requirements for Spring 2014 Student Teacher candidates will go into effect Sept. 1, 2013.
Admission to student teaching requires that the student has:
- been admitted to professional education.
- applied for student teaching by February 15th for fall placement and by September 15th for spring placement.
- a grade point average of 2.5 or higher in each of the following:
- overall hours
- professional education hours
- completed all professional education courses except student teaching and EDU 489 or EXED 434, and received grades of “C” or higher in all these courses.
- met additional requirements described in prerequisites for ELED 490, MGE 490, SEC 490, EXED 490, or IECE 490.
- completed 75% of the major or all of the minor if student teaching is to be done in the minor.
- attained senior status (90 credit hours).
- achieved on average “at standard” (3 or higher) on all professional education dispositions.
- achieved critical performance assessment scores that average at least 3.0 overall and at least 2.5 per Kentucky Teacher Standard measured.
- a valid and current medical examination (not older than one year from the end of the semester in which the student plans to student teach).
- demonstrated moral, social, and ethical behavior that is acceptable in the school community and the community at large, as defined in the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Certified Personnel.
Note: Kentucky and Federal criminal records checks will be conducted by the student’s assigned school districts after the student teaching placement has been made.