The Confucius Institute at WKU:
Established in April 2010, the Confucius Institute at WKU (CI at WKU) is aimed at disseminating the Chinese culture and language throughout the state of Kentucky. The CI at WKU recruits Chinese teachers from China, and strategically places the Chinese teachers in K-12 institutions throughout the state, offering Chinese language and culture classes. The CI at WKU serves as a regional center for Chinese teacher training, and Chinese curriculum development at the K-12 level. The CI at WKU is a conduit for Chinese language and culture programming.
WKU CI Goals:
- Engages in outreach to local educational institutions, businesses, government and community members.
- Offers cultural programming, language education and K-12 summer programs.
- Provides teacher training, professional development opportunities, and language proficiency exams for students, teachers and the community.
- Encourages WKU students to travel and study in China by offering study abroad scholarships.
- Works to strengthen library holdings of scholarly work on China.
- Enhances understanding and appreciation for the Chinese language and culture by sponsoring exhibits, performances (music, opera, theater), and an artist-in-residence program.
WKU CI Overview (video)
Headquarters of Confucius Institute (Hanban)
Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters, as a public institution affiliated with the Chinese Ministry of Education, is committed to providing Chinese language and cultural teaching resources and services worldwide, it goes all out in meeting the demands of foreign Chinese learners and contributing to the development of multiculturalism and the building of a harmonious world.
Hanban's mission is:
- To make policies and development plans for promoting Chinese language internationally.
- To support Chinese language programs at educational institutions of various types and levels in other countries.
- To draft international Chinese teaching standards and develop and promote Chinese language teaching materials.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,