The Distance Learning Department at WKU provides support for distance faculty in a variety of ways. Whether you're interested in developing a course for online delivery or connecting your students with resources they need when studying at a distance, we're here to help you achieve your goals! Below is a reference guide to help you get connected to the right area within distance learning. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us at 270-745-2106.
- Online Teaching Resources
- Staff in the Distance Learning department can assist you in creating an online course or in translating an existing face-to-face course to the online environment. We offer instructional design consulting, and assistance in the actual production of courses and course materials. Our staff bring their technical and pedagogical expertise to join your content expertise. The result is a university course that reaches a wider and more diverse audience than the on-campus learner and communicates your research and instruction to the larger community. One-on-one and departmental workshops are also available.
- Financial Support for Course Development
- The Office of Distance Learning, which includes online semester-based courses and non-semester based WKU On Demand courses, provides financial support for the development of distance courses. Faculty interested in receiving financial support for course development should contact Tanja Bibbs at email@example.com or call 270-745-5174 to see if your course qualifies for development dollars.
- 1+1 Graduate Assistantship Program
- Academic departments with online programs may apply for support through the Office of Distance Learning through DL's 1+1 GA program. If approved, DL will fund a GA for one year. During that year Distance Learning staff will work with the GA to train them in areas such as Blackboard, accessibility issues, and general support for online instruction. This helps the GA return to the department with the skills needed to assist online faculty. For additional information contact Anne Honaker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 270-745-5107.
- Programmatic Support
- Online Program Services provides marketing/promotion and website design for departments with online programs. We work closely with the department and DELO Marketing team to develop branding, identify target markets and raise awareness of the program. This service is available for new and existing online program. The service is funded by Academic Outreach up to $7,500. For additional information contact Cindy Hawks at email@example.com or 270-745-4087.
- Testing Services
- Many online courses require proctored exams. The DL Testing Center opened in 2005 to provide proctored testing services to Distance Learning students. The Testing Center has two locations in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and works with approved sites around the world to provide proctored exams at convenient locations for online learners! For additional information, or to schedule your exam, visit www.wku.edu/testing.
- Transcribing Services
- It is our goal to ensure all online courses meet ADA standards. We achieve this in part with transcribing services for all online courses. We have a team transcribers on staff who continually work to ensure all course related videos are transcribed. It is not necessary to request transcribing services, unless you need to notify us of a priority situation. If you have been notified that a student enrolled in your course needs accommodations, please fill out the priority request for at www.wku.edu/online/faculty/transcribe.php.
Garrett Conference Center 107A
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,