Revised Principal Preparation ProgramEffective Fall 2011
A minimum of 18 credit hours is required in the program to complete Level I. Completion of the entire program (Level I and Level II) requires a minimum of 30 hours. Students must then pass the Kentucky Principal Specialty Test and the School Leaders Licensure Assessment test for Provisional Certification. Continuation of certification is contingent upon completion of Level II courses (12 credit hours) for the Professional Certification. Program completers may file for a rank change.
Admission into the revised Principal Preparation Program requires acceptance by Graduates Studies and Research, submission of Department Application, and selection by the Principal Preparation Admissions Committee.Students must meet the following criteria in order to apply for admission:
- Master’s degree (Teacher Leader preferred)
- Submit a copy of a current, valid teaching certificate
- Three years documented successful teaching experience
- GPA of 3.0 on all graduate work
- Prerequisite courses completed
- Due Date for those planing to start in the fall: September 15
- Due Dates for those planning to start in the spring: July 15th (Early Application); October 1st (Regular Application). Students applying early maybe able to begin completing any course deficiencies in the fall prior to their spring semester start date.
Co-requisite courses(12 hours)
These courses may be taken before, during, of after 18 hours of core principal certification classes, but students may not apply for certification until all co-requisites are complete.
- EDAD 588 Allocation and Use of Resources
- EDAD 677 Legal Issues for Professional Educators
- EDAD 684 Instructional Leadership
Level I courses (18 hours)
These courses must be taken sequentially, two courses each term (Fall, Spring, Fall or Spring, Fall, Spring). Fieldwork consistent with the role of the school principal is required in each course. The program format is cohort with a maximum of 25 students.
- EDAD 640 Introduction to School Leadership
- EDAD 641 Building Culture and Community
- EDAD 642 Leveraging Community Systems & Resources
- EDAD 643 Securing and Developing Staff
- EDAD 644 Creating Organizational Structures & Operations
- EDAD 645 Practicing the Principalship
Level II Courses: (12 hours)
- EDAD 694 Seminar in Education Administration (6 hours) (Completion of Level I is a prerequisite to this course)
- Advisor-approved electives (6 hours)
For certification information, see: Teacher Certification