The WKU Mechanical Engineering Program produces graduates who are well prepared for the start of productive, successful careers as practicing engineers.
Our graduates have a strong competitive advantage with their unique background of engineering fundamentals combined with practical knowledge and experience.
The WKU Mechanical Engineering Program provides a project-based, learner-driven environment relevant to the needs of our region. In support of this learning environment, the professional engineering activities of the faculty create opportunities for the students to practice the art and science of contemporary mechanical engineering.
Within a few years of completing the Mechanical Engineering Program a graduate will:
- Either be contributing to their region’s economic development through employment in mechanical engineering or related professions, or pursuing advanced credentials;
- Occupy leadership roles in their profession, or in their communities, as their career develops;
- Demonstrate professionalism on diverse teams across a range of varied responsibilities; and
- Be proactive in their professional development and engage in the continuing education needed to maintain and enhance their career.
OUTCOMES: Skills and abilities our graduates have at completion of their program of study
- Our graduates have the ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering (ABET Criterion 3 A).
- Our graduates have the ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data (ABET Criterion 3 B).
- Our graduates have the ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability (ABET Criterion 3 C).
- Our graduates have the ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams (ABET Criterion 3 D).
- Our graduates have the ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems (ABET Criterion 3 E).
- Our graduates have an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility (ABET Criterion 3 F).
- Our graduates have the ability to communicate effectively (ABET Criterion 3 G).
- Our graduates have the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context (ABET Criterion 3 H).
- Our graduates have a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning (ABET Criterion 3 I).
- Our graduates have knowledge of contemporary issues (ABET Criterion 3 J).
- Our graduates have the ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice. (ABET Criterion 3 K).
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,