Kevin Schmaltz, PhD, PE
- 1997 Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 1992 MS Mechanical Engineering, Tulane University; New Orleans, LA.
- 1984 BS Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute; Blacksburg, VA.
Academic interests include research and development of alternative biofuels, most notably the WKU Biodiesel facility that have been providing fuel for a half dozen years at WKU. Pedagogical interests include providing a variety of thermo-fluid and energy conversion courses, as well as the entire design and professional component course sequence from freshman to senior years. Have presented a variety of conference papers on engineering design initiatives in education and energy conversion initiative
Taught at Western Kentucky University for fifteen years, after serving as the Chair of Mechanical Engineering at Lake Superior State University. Before entering the academic world, he was a project engineer for Shell Oil responsible for the design and installation of oil and gas production facilities for offshore platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. He has a combined 29 years of experience as an engineer in industry and in teaching.
Professional Membership & Professional Credentials
- ASME (Current Chair of Student Design Competition committee, member of Student Professional Development and E-Fest planning committees; presented @ IMECE 1995, NHT Conf. 1997, IMECE 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012)
- ASEE (Presented at 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2013, Annual Conference and Expositions; 2006 and 2008 Global Colloquium)
- Pi Tau Sigma (Engineering Honors Society)
- Tau Beta Pi (Mechanical Engineering Honors Society)
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Kentucky 2003 to present.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,