Family and Consumer Sciences
1906 College Heights Blvd #11037
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1037
The Family Home Visiting Certificate is a unique certificate program at WKU! Few universities across the country offer this amazing educational opportunity. The Family Home Visiting Certificate prepares students to provide in-home services to families who are engaged in a variety of programs designed to strengthen the family, or assist a child with a specific need. Select examples of home visits includes working with families:
- At risk for child abuse and neglect
- Who need additional parenting skills
- Whose children are involved in First Steps
- Who are adopting a child
- Whose children attend Head Start
Home visiting occurs in a variety of fields such as:
- Early Childhood Education
- Child and Family Studies
- Social Work
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
(This is not an exhaustive list of careers that involve home visiting as part of their practice.)
Potential clients of home visits include:
- Children receiving therapies in the home,
- Parents needing healthy pregnancy information and parenting skills,
- Families at risk for abusing and neglecting their children;
- Those who need other support services.
REQUIRED COURSES (12 hours) Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in these courses.
- FACS 395 Child and Family Stress (offered online Spring, Summer, and through On-Demand)
- FACS 494 Parenting Strategies (offered face to face in Fall, online Winter, Spring, Summer and through On-Demand)
- FACS 497 Family Home Visiting (offered online during Spring)
- Elective course chosen with advisor.
The elective is chosen after a discussion between Dr. Darbi Haynes-Lawrence (Family Home Visiting Certificate advisor) and the student. Some electives within Family & Consumer Sciences include, but are not limited to:
- FACS 311 Family Relations
- FACS 312 Professional Ethics in Family Life (Spring, online)
- FACS 391 Risk & Resilience (online; Fall only)
- FACS 393 Play and Child Development (online; Fall only)
- FACS 422 Adolescent Development (Spring, online)
- FACS 495 Family & Relationship Violence (Face to face Fall; online Spring)
- FACS 496 Challenging Behaviors (online; Fall only)
Examples of majors of students who have graduated with the Family Home Visiting Certificate include: Child and Family Studies, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, Family & Consumer Science Education, Elementary Education, Nursing, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, or the Bachelor's of Interdisciplinary Studies.
Students who are interested in completing the Family Home Visiting Certificate program must submit a completed Undergraduate Certificate Form. Dr. Haynes-Lawrence can assist you with this form.
For more information, please contact Dr. Darbi Haynes-Lawrence via email: Darbi.Haynes-Lawrence@WKU.EDU or the Family & Consumer Sciences department at 270-745-4352.
For more information on the Family Home Visiting minor, please click here.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,