Skip to main content
Western Kentucky University

FACS Child Studies


FAQ's about Family and Consumer Sciences & the Child Studies concentration.

 1. What is the Child Studies concentration?

  • The central purpose of this program is to prepare students who are interested in working in a child and family-focused environment. The graduates will have a broad knowledge base working with children and families. The major will provide graduates with entry-level competencies for child and family life.

 2. What can I do with the Child Studies degree once I graduate?

Career opportunities in Family and Consumer Sciences, in which the Child Studies major is a concentration, include:

  • Preschool Teacher
  • Agency Director/Manager
  • Head Start 
  • Family Services
  •  Home Visiting Programs
  • Case Management   
  •  Extended Day Programs 
  • Crisis Nurseries
  • YMCA 
  • Child Advocacy  
  • Youth Counselor  
  • Early Intervention Specialist
  • Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)
  •  Big Brothers / Big Sisters 
  •  Extension Agent  
  •  Family Service Worker
  • Child Welfare  
  • Parenting Programs 
  • Other Community Agencies
  • Other Social Services
  • Unfortunately, we are no longer able to assist students in becoming Child Life Specialists. This is due to changes in the National Child Life Council.

(To get more ideas of what you can do with this degree, try googling "What can I do with Child Studies!)

  • This is not an exhaustive list of employment opportunities. There are MULTIPLE employment opportunities available to students with a degree in Child Studies.

3. Who will be my advisor?

 Advisors are assigned on a rotating basis per the area they cover. Contact or 270-745-4352 to be assigned an advisor.

  • Dr. Haynes-Lawrence is the advisor for: Child Studies majors and minors, and the Family Home Visiting Certificate.
  • Dr. Hood-Hooten is the person to contact for information on a CDA and the Director's Credential.
  • Dr. Shim is an advisor for the Child Studies degrees.

 You must see your assigned advisor each semester prior to registering for classes (this is assuming you have declared your major, and have been assigned an advisor). Each student has an "Advising Hold" on their record until they meet with their advisor. After a student meets with his/her advisor, she will lift the hold on the students record, allowing the student to register for courses.

Remember, each advisor sees many students, therefore waiting until the last minute to schedule an appointment is not recommended, as there might be difficulty getting into the advising schedule.

If you have already declared your major and have been assigned an advisor and you need to contact them or schedule an advising appointment.


4. Do I need a minor with this degree?

  • This major does require a minor. There are many minor options! When thinking of a minor, try to think about what you want to 'do' when are finished with this degree. Your minor can help prepare you for job opportunities.
  • Child Studies majors CANNOT minor in Child Studies.

 5. Do I student teach with the Child Studies Concentration?

  • No, you do not student teach with any of our concentration areas.
  •  A 2.0 GPA is required by WKU to graduate.

6. How many hours are the degrees?

  • Child Studies is a Bachelor of Science degree, and it is 120 hours. This includes electives, general education requirements and courses in the major.
  • The major is 51 hours of classes.
  • The Child Studies major courses are offered online. The Gen-Ed's may or may not be offered online.
  • Please note - of the 120 hours needed to graduate, 42 of those must be at the 300 level or above!

7. I am a new student to WKU (either by transferring or by starting my college career). Is there a program that can help me get oriented to WKU?

  •  If you are a student who is transferring to WKU or if you are a new student attending WKU, we highly recommend you attend an ATP session. Even if you are going to take classes *online,* we recommend you attend an ATP session to become familiar with all that WKU has to offer. Your advisor is available to help you with your major area of concentration. The ATP folks will help you become familiar with WKU, setting up your email, obtaining your student ID, student ID number, etc. For information on how to register for an ATP session please click: ATP

 8. Are any courses online?

  •  The Child Studies concentration is completely online. This means the courses for the Child Studies *MAJOR* are offered online.
  • However, the 'General Education' requirements for WKU *may not be* offered online. Some are, some are not. We are uncertain as to the availability of online Gen-Ed's. Many are offered during the Fall and Spring semesters. Be sure to check the schedule for the Winter Term and Summer Terms as well. This is a popular time for online Gen-Ed's.
  • Also, our Child Studies classes are offered online, however there might be a semester where a student is out of sequence, due to the online classes being full. Our online classes fill very quickly.

9. Can I teach with the Child Studies degree?

  • Yes - you can teach with this degree. You cannot teach in public schools. As with any employment position, some businesses/companies may have specific degree requirements. You can do many things with this degree! Talk with your advisor about the many opportunities you will have with the child studies degree.

 10. I have heard I can get a 'Director's Credential.' What classes contribute towards that credential?

  • Did you know that Kentucky has established a Director's Credential that you can earn while taking college courses in Early Childhood Education? Well, it's true! The state developed this KY Director's Credential, specific to the state of KY, in order to provide individuals with the education and skills necessary for managing an early childhood program.
  • The required classes for the 'Director's Credential' are: FACS 191, FACS 192, FACS 294, FACS 295 OR FACS 296, AND FACS 299 (formerly CFS 291).
  • Once these five courses have been completed, students must complete some paperwork within the university to be mailed to the state for certification. For more information, please feel free to contact Dr. Amy Hood-Hooten
  • Individuals wishing to earn this credential may also be eligible for the KIDS NOW Scholarship program for college coursework.

 11. I've heard there is a Family Home Visiting Certificate?

  • Yes! We have a Family Home Visiting Certificate! What does this mean? Just what it says!! This certificate will be beneficial for anyone who will be conducting home visits with their employment position. For more information, contact Dr. Darbi Haynes-Lawrence
  • The classes that  make up this certificate are: FACS 395, FACS 494, FACS 497 and an elective decided upon between the student and Dr. Haynes-Lawrence.

11a.  We also have a Family Home Visiting Minor!!

  • This minor is 21 hours.
  • It is made up of these classes:
    • FACS 191 Child Development
    • FACS 294 Assessment of Young Children
    • FACS 393 Play and Child Development
    • FACS 395 Child and Family Stress
    • FACS 494 Parenting Strategies
    • FACS 496 Challenging Behaviors
    • FACS 497 Family Home Visiting

12. How can I get more information about the Child Studies Concentration, the Child Studies Minor, the Family Home Visiting Minor and the Family Home Visiting Certificate?

  •  If you would like more information about any of these programs contact the appropriate advisor (listed above).

13. Courses that make up the major (Remember, a minor is required):

HMD  211 Human Nutrition (Formerly FACS 211 Human Nutrition)

FACS 180 Foundations in FCS

FACS 191 Child Development

FACS 192 Working with Children and Families

FACS 292 Diversity in Early Childhood Programs

FACS 294 Assessment

FACS 299 Administration of Early Childhood Programs

FACS 310 Management of Family Resources

FACS 311 Family Relations

FACS 380 Professional Presentation Techniques

FACS 399 Implications of Research

FACS 410 internship or elective class

FACS 492 Growth and Guidance

FACS 493 Family Life Education

FACS 494 Parenting Strategies

FACS 499 Issues in FCS

SOC 300 Using Statistics

Enter some Side Content here.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 9/25/14