Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Student Financial Assistance

Miscellaneous FAQs

Click on a question below for the answer. Click on the question again to close.

I am going to attend WKU in the summer. Is there any aid available if I attend then?
Typically, financial aid is awarded for the academic year, which includes fall, winter and spring semesters. Summer financial aid is based on remaining eligibility, if any, from the academic year. In other words, if you use all your available grants and/or student loans during the academic year, you will most likely not have eligibility for the summer term. Federal law limits annual loan amounts. This means that you may not borrow more than your annual maximum during the fall, winter, spring, and summer terms combined. If you borrow your maximum for fall, winter and spring, you will not have any funds available for summer. Summer financial aid will be awarded based on the total number of pre-registered hours. Currently enrolled students who received financial aid during the fall semester and/or the spring semester do not need to complete any additional financial aid forms for the summer. Undergraduates must be enrolled for a total of at least 6 hours and graduates must be enrolled in at least 4.5 hours to be considered for loans during the summer terms.
My grade level is going to increase in the spring/summer. Will I be eligible for more financial aid?
You might be eligible for more Federal Subsidized Student Stafford or Unsubsidized Stafford loans. Once your Fall/Spring grades have been posted by the WKU Registrar’s Office and your grade level has increased from a Freshman level to a Sophomore level (30 credit hours earned), or has changed from the Sophomore level to a Junior level (60 credit hours earned) you may be eligible for more Federal Student Stafford Loan or Federal Student Unsubsidized Stafford loan. This depends on your Cost of Attendance and the amount of your initial financial aid award.

If you would like your eligibility for a loan increase to be reviewed, send an e-mail message to with your specific request. If you are eligible, the loan amount will be increased and you will receive a disbursement as scheduled. (A new loan application is not needed). Direct Loans will mail a disclosure statement to you reflecting the award increase. The increase could affect your loan eligibility for the upcoming summer if you plan on attending and receiving federal loans. An increase will have no bearing on the next academic year.

Is it possible to use financial aid award money for correspondence classes?
Correspondence classes can only receive aid in conjunction with the same amount of regular classes. You also have to sign a contract with the Financial Aid office to complete those hours within the semester to be eligible for aid.
If I am in default on an educational loan, can I still receive financial aid?
No. Students who are currently in default on educational loans are not eligible to receive federal financial aid. Our office recommends that you contact your lender and attempt to make satisfactory payment arrangements with them. If your default status has been resolved, you must provide a letter from your lender(s) stating that the default status has been resolved and that you are again eligible to receive federal financial aid.
How do I buy my books if I don't have my financial aid yet?
Students are encouraged to complete their financial aid requirements in a timely manner. You may visit the WKU Store located on the main campus, Commonwealth School campus, Glasgow, or Owensboro campuses and bill your textbooks and supplies to your University Bill. This may be done no earlier than 10 days prior to the start of the semester in which the student is enrolled. Otherwise students will need to make arrangements to purchase their books through personal means.
I haven't yet applied, but my bill is due soon. I know processing takes 6 to 8 weeks from start to finish. Is there any type of interim aid I can have while I wait?
No. There's no interim aid. Students often ask if they can take out private, non-federal loans while they wait for their FAFSA to be processed and their federal loans to be disbursed. Students are discouraged from pursuing this because it will still take about 4-6 weeks to receive alternative loans, and if you take out alternative loans in advance of your federal loans, you may inadvertently take out too much private loan, which you would then have to return. This can be costly. Or, if you didn't want to return the private loan funds your federal aid eligibility could be adversely affected. The best strategy is to file the FAFSA as soon as possible, and, in the interim, work out a payment plan with WKU Billings Office. If you are eligible for financial aid and you have already made a payment to the WKU Billings Office, you would be reimbursed for the amount of overpayment.
My sister received a Pell Grant, why didn't I receive one?
In addition to parent’s income and assets, a student’s income and assets also affect Pell Grant eligibility. You may have a higher income or more assets than your sister.
I have filled out my FAFSA form, but I won't be taking classes in the fall semester. I will take classes in the spring though. What will I need to do for financial aid for spring?
After you have registered for your spring classes, you will be contacted no later than mid-January regarding financial aid eligibility. If you have not received information from our office by mid-January contact us at 270-745-2755.
I received an assistantship award for the Fall/Spring academic year, but according to TopNet, it is not for the amount I expected for the year. Why is this?
That award is made by the WKU Graduate Office and is listed on Financial Aid for information purposes only. Their office number is 270-745-2446.
Is there financial aid available for international students? If so, how do I apply?
You must be a resident of the United States in order to receive federal aid, which includes grants and loans. You may, however, apply for work on campus.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 10/25/16