Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Student Financial Assistance

FAQs About Registration / Enrollment / Academic Status

Click on a question below for the answer. Click on the question again to close.

Will I be able to register for classes if I have a past due balance?
Students who have a past due balance will not be allowed to register for classes.
What is the definition of Academic Level?
For the purposes of financial aid packaging, SFA complies with University policy for determining your Academic Level.
Credit Hours Completed Academic Level
0 - 29  Freshman
30 - 59 Sophomore
60 - 89 Junior
90 - Bachelor's Degree Senior
Beyond Bachelor's Degree     Graduate
How is my enrollment status defined?
Federal and state financial aid is awarded based on the following enrollment statuses:
 Undergraduate Students Graduate Students
12 or more credit hours = full time 9 or more credit hours = full time
9 - 11 credit hours = three quarter time  
6 - 8 credit hours = half time 4.5 credit hours = half time
1 - 5 credit hours = less than half time 1 - 4 credit hours = less than half time
How does changing my enrollment affect my financial aid?
o Enrollment changes can have a significant impact on your current financial aid as well as your future financial aid eligibility. Your tuition and fees may be adjusted whenever you add, drop, audit or withdraw based on the WKU Refund Policy. As a result of dropping, auditing, or withdrawing from your classes, your financial aid may be reduced, or in some cases canceled. Also, dropped, audited or withdrawn classes are counted in determining your future financial aid eligibility through the Satisfactory Progress Policy. For additional information, contact the Financial Aid Office prior to dropping, auditing or withdrawing from your classes.
What if I completely withdraw from classes, will I have to repay my financial aid?
Yes, if you withdraw before 60% of the term is completed, you will be required to repay a percentage of the aid you received since the funds were awarded to meet educational expenses for the entire semester. Please review the Refund Repayment policy. If you have any questions about how your financial aid award might be affected by your change in enrollment status, please contact our office via mail to: phone (270) 745-2755.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 10/25/16