Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Student Financial Assistance

FAQs About Scholarships

Click on a question below for the answer. Click on the question again to close.

When will the Kees scholarship money be deducted from my balance?
KEES money isn't received until mid-September for Fall and mid-February for Spring. We submit enrollment to KHEAA after the 100% drop/add. They have to verify enrollment before the money is released. The University knows this and will wait for these funds if they are being used to pay your bill.
The teacher scholarship still says "offered" on TopNet even after I accepted it on my award notice. Is there anything else I need to do?
The teacher scholarship will not change to an accept until we receive the funds. All you need to do is be sure you have signed and returned the promissory note for the scholarship. Keep checking your TopNet account, and when the money comes to WKU, your offer will change to an accept.
I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?
Yes. If you are receiving any kind of financial aid from university or government sources, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office. Unfortunately, the university will adjust your financial aid package to compensate. Nevertheless, the outside scholarship will have some beneficial effects. At WKU, outside scholarships are used to replace loans instead of grants.
What is the mailing address to send a private donor scholarship check to WKU?
Private donor scholarship checks may be dropped off in person by the student (be sure to endorse if a joint check) in Potter Hall, room 317, or mailed to:

Western Kentucky University
Student Financial Assistance
ATTN: Scholarships
1906 College Heights Blvd. #11018
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1018

Will an additional outside scholarship affect my award?
Possibly. Each student who applies for aid is eligible for a certain amount according to their financial circumstances and educational costs. If an outside scholarship results in you receiving more aid than the federal processor indicates you are eligible to receive, you may lose other aid. This will depend upon the type of other aid you are receiving. If you receive an outside scholarship, check with your financial aid adviser to find out how or if it will affect your total package.
How do I apply for scholarships?
Academic and collegiate scholarships that are available at WKU are posted on the Financial Aid Office web site at The WKU Scholarship Program provides freshmen and transfer awards to new undergraduate students who have achieved high academic standards. These scholarships are based upon academic merit and potential for superior achievement in college, not on financial need. Collegiate units award academic scholarships annually to both new and continuing students. Information on these scholarships is available on the Financial Aid Office web site or from the applicable collegiate unit scholarship coordinator. Students interested in seeking a private grant or scholarship should check as many sources as possible including high school guidance offices, local clubs and civic organizations, businesses, employers, church groups, public libraries, alumni organizations and financial institutions. There are several web sites, such as FastWeb, that provide scholarship search services free of charge. In addition, public libraries are an excellent source of information on private scholarships. Many scholarships are not based on need, but rather on academic or other achievement
What are some tips on applying for scholarships?
READ THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS of the scholarships you are interested in FIRST. Save yourself time and energy by not applying for scholarships with qualifications you don’t match. If you meet the basic requirements for an award, APPLY! Apply to as many sources as possible. Be complete and concise, but also creative. Apply as far in advance as possible. Avoid spelling and grammatical errors; have someone else read and proofread your application before you send it off. Always apply for need-based financial aid first. Universities would love to award EVERY deserving student, but limited scholarship dollars make this impossible.
I have heard about a scholarship for left-handed students. Can you tell me more information about it?
This question comes up frequently, because the popular press and scholarship matching services like to use it as an example of unusual scholarships. The only scholarship for left-handed students is the Frederick and Mary F. Beckley Scholarship of up to $1,000. This scholarship is awarded to left-handed students who will be attending Juniata College. This scholarship is not available to students who aren’t enrolled at Juniata College. For more information, write to Office of Student Financial Planning, Juniata College, 1700 Moore Street, Huntington, PA 16652. To find other scholarships for students with specific interests or abilities, see the profile-based aid section. FinAid also has a page devoted to unusual scholarships.
My son/daughter is going to be a junior in high school this fall, is it too early to start looking for grants and scholarships?
No, it is not too early to begin a scholarship search. Just realize deadlines and criteria can change from year to year so when it is time to apply make sure you have the most up to date application.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 2/27/17