Global Health and Service Learning
Extending the WKU mission by promoting wellness of body, mind, and environment both locally and globally.
See Belize TV story about the Winter 2013 program. Link Here
- To provide service learning experiences to students in the College of Health and Human Services
- To provide a community-based participatory research environment
- To collaborate with the Belizean healthcare system at a national, regional, and local level to improve the long-term health and human services of Belize.
- Must be 18 years of age or older, regardless of parental consent
- Ability to complete course requirements
- Good Academic Standing
- Approval of Judicial Affairs (if currently under any sanction)
- Junior Standing or Permission of instructor(s)
- Complete Study Abroad application process
- Current WKU student eligible to register for winter term course
- Endorsed by Program Faculty
- This program is a curriculum-based service learning project. A joint effort among multiple faculty and department in Health and Human Services, this program allows students to earn credit while doing good works.
- Learn More: http://www.wku.edu/belizeprogram/
- Weather in Belize can be quite hot. Bring appropriate clothing.
- Students are required to bring medical equipment and supplies. Reserve space in checked luggage, and pack light.
- Program will involve walking so participants should bring proper shoes that are comfortable for walking and cover their feet.
- Adequate physical condition is needed to access the some sites.
- Includes 3-credit hour tuition, round-trip airfare from Nashville, accommodations, some meals, all group excursions.
- Not included in program fee: transportation from home to the departure airport /return from airport to your home, and personal spending money.
- Independent travel is not allowed on this program.
- SWRK 490
- SWRK 695
- DH 360
- NURS 317
- CD 589
- PH 456
- Winter 2014
- Full Amount charged to TopNet Account.
- Payment schedule TBD
- Syllabus (coming soon)
- Fall 2014 - Start your Application
- $250 deposit paid with completed application