The multi-layer study abroad experience starts with class meetings on campus meeting followed by your international learning experience in Costa Rica.
- Tours at Del Monte Pineapple Plantation, Dole Banana Plantation, Monteverde Cheese Factory, Don Juan Coffee and Chocolate, and much more.
- Horseback riding under Arenal Volcano
- Meetings with ecotourism business owners
- Volunteering at Projecto Asis Orphanage
- To better understand the role of ecotourism and exports to the Costa Rican economy.
- To have a better understanding of free trade and fair trade.
- To have a greater awareness of the economic implications and solutions related to sustainability.
- To have greater knowledge of the economic challenges and strengths of Costa Rica.
- To acquire an increased knowledge of the economic challenges and strengths of Costa Rica.
- To learn about the economic and political history of Costa Rica.
- To gain an understanding of poverty, education and the labor market in a hybrid economy.
- To gain an understanding of the labor market in Costa Rica and the differential minimum wage imposed on rural and urban workers.
- To gain an appreciation of the struggles faced by children being born into poverty as well as the conditions of the educational system for low-income households.
- To learn about the agricultural export business and its influence on local economies.
This course will require a substantial amount of physical exertion and so students should be adequately fit to ride horses, walk trails that are sometimes steep, and remain active in tours that last up to 3 hours. If a student has concerns about their physical ability for any of the excursions they should talk before departure with Drs. Strow and Leguizamon about an alternative activity suitable for their physical abilities. Once the course departs, students are expected to participate in all activities barring any unexpected circumstances. It is also recommended that each student consult with their physician prior to departure to make sure that the activities are safe for their physical abilities.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,