The Jewel of Central America
This 12-day service adventure features opportunities to traverse rainforests, work with local community organizations, and participate in conservation and environmental studies while discovering the magnificent natural beauty of Costa Rica.
Students will be afforded the opportunity to explore the natural environment and community health of Costa Rica through various immersion opportunities rooted in service learning. Special emphasis will be placed on developing a service and outdoor ethic within an environmental world view. In addition, students will learn and practice a variety of outdoor skills ( hiking, biking, and birding); interpersonal communication development opportunities; problem solving opportunities; all the while developing a cross-cultural awareness with preplanned service projects.
The courses, REC 482 and REC 482G, are being offered through a joint effort between the Department of Kinesiology, Recreation, and Sport and the Intramural/Recreational Sports Department.
The Program Leaders may determine other eligibility requirements, but at a minimum, all applicants need to meet these requirements:
- Good academic standing
- Permission of instructor
- Current WKU student eligible to register for WKU courses
- 18 years of age or older at time of departure (Parental/legal guardian expressed consent required for those under 18 at time of departure)
- Eligible to obtain a visa for destination(s) and through all transit points (if needed) as determined by US DOS and host country
- Possess passport valid for at least six (6) months after end date
- No current disciplinary sanctions as verified by Judicial Affairs
- Full payment (or signed payment agreement) prior to departure
- Completion of all pre-departure orientation
- Includes 3-credit hour tuition ($1,062 estimated value), round-trip airfare, round trip transportation from Bowling Green to Nashville airport, accommodations, in-country transportation, 1/2 of the meals, group excursions, and medical insurance.
- Not included in program fee: gratuities and personal spending money.
- Final program fee subject to change due to travel arrangements.
Key Dates in 2013:
|May 13||Depart for Costa Rica|
|May 24||Return to Nashville|
|June 24||Post-program assessment deadline (online)|
* Tentative dates
- Link here for WKU WorldTopper Scholarship and other funding options
You may contact Student Financial Assistance to determine your funding options if needed. You will need to provide the course number, name, your name and WKU ID (800#), and the Study Away course fee as stated above, in the email you send to financial aid.
- Rec 482
- Rec 482G
* Select one course for 3-credit hours.
- Dr. Ron Ramsing
- Luke Bartlett
- Costa Rica
- Summer 2013
- $2,495 (est)
- Final payment will be charged to your TopNet Account in spring
- Start your Study Abroad application now!
$250 deposit due with application
- Itinerary (coming soon)
- Syllabus (coming soon)