African American Experience Abroad
Experience the first step of African American History firsthand while gaining a deeper understanding of cultures and diversity.
Students will not only visit typical sites such as museums, monuments, government institutions, and research centers, but will also experience Trinidadian culture through daily interaction with locals and through their participation in cultural activities organized around Carnival, mask making, and the playing of the steel pan. Most importantly, this experience is a chance for students to appreciate a different culture in a way that is in keeping with the university's mission to promote multiculturalism and global awareness as one of its primary academic functions.
You earn 6 credit hours with the Fall and Winter AFAM courses. The Fall 2014 AFAM 190 is the pre-requisite for the study abroad course. You must register for and complete the fall course to be eligible for the Winter study abroad course.
- Visit the University of West Indies campus
- Learn about Carnival Mask Making and Steel Band tradition
- Study at the Maracas Beach and North Coast
- Pitch Lake and Temple in the Sea
- Explore Tobago's nature preserves, markets, colonial forts, and African slave sites
- Develop, among its participants, a general awareness of the main process of cultural development in Caribbean societies by highlighting the factors, problematic, and creative output that has fed the emergence of Caribbean identities;
- To develop a perception of the Caribbean as wider than island nations or linguistic blocs; and
- Stimulate students' interest in Caribbean civilization in comparison to the historical and cultural experiences of African Americans.
- Dr. Andrew Rosa - Andrew.email@example.com
- Dr. Saundra Ardrey - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Lloren Foster - email@example.com
- Port of Spain
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Summer 2015
- $2,400 (est. from spring 2014)
- American Traveler (non-credit) program - COMING SOON
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,