Explore the impacts of climate change through the lens of many perspectives on board the MV Explorer.
Earn 4 credit hours n the Semester at Sea's 2014 May Enrichment Voyage as we study climate change in Sweden, Denmark, Iceland Northern Ireland and England.
For those with a passion for world travel, a love of learning, and a thirst for cross-cultural experience, the Toppers at Sea 2014 voyage provides an unparalleled academic experience. Earn WKU credit on Semester at Sea's May 2014 Enrichment Voyage as we study climate change in locations in the North Atlantic that are directly affected by this scientific phenomenon.
This interdisciplinary program includes several courses. Together the group will learn how climate change affects the world from varied academic perspectives. The 1-credit hour service-learning course will bring together the findings from each course for a presentation to an international partner in one of the countries we will visit.
Stockholm (May 30 - 31)
- Airport to hotel transfer for those on group flight
- 2-nights of accommodation
- Welcome reception and orientation
- Hotel to ship transfer for those staying at hotel
Shipboard (June 1 – 15)
- 14-nights of accommodation and meals on board the MV Explorer
- Two course-related field programs
|May 31||Stockholm, Sweden|
|June 1||Stockholm - Embark MV Explorer|
|June 3||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|June 5||Lerwick, Shetland Islands|
|June 8||Reykjavik, Iceland|
|June 9||Isfordur, Iceland|
|June 10||Akureyri, Iceland|
|June 13||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|June 15||Southampton, England - disembark|
Each course in the program will have specific learning goals. However, the overall learning goals include:
- To employ experiential learning in order to better understand climate change.
- To analyze the impact of climate change on a specific region of the globe.
- To develop an understanding of strategies to deal with climate change.
Class meetings will take place on campus prior to departing for the shipboard portion of the program. The faculty of each course will determine the meeting schedule and requirements. All participants will also meet prior to departing for a required pre-departure orientation.
- May 19– 23, 2014, WKU's Bowling Green campus
- Faculty for each course may require additional scheduled meeting times).
- Non-degree-seeking students are encouraged to attend the first portion of the class in-person at WKU's campus if possible. International students and others with extreme circumstances may have the ability to connect synchronously with technology.
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Copenhagen, Denmark
- Lerwick, United Kingdom (Shetland Islands)
- Reykjavik, Iceland
- Isafjordur, Iceland
- Akureyri, Iceland
- Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Southampton, England (Disembark)
- Summer 2014
May 30 - June 15
- $3,689 - $3,898
*Airfare not included.