- KRS (About Us)
- KRS Graduate Programs
- KRS (Contact Us)
- Back to CHHS Home
- Academic Center for Excellence
- Academic Advising and Retention Center
WKU Information for:
Fly Fishing Courses
REC 482 - Fly Fishing - Recreation Workshop (3 Credit Hours)
Join us for a fantastic course designed to teach you the fundamentals of fly fishing. Fly fishing is a lifetime leisure pursuit. Treat yourself to some quality instruction to jump start the learning curve.
Summer 2014: REC 482 Fly Fishing - Rec Wksp. May 19, 20, 21, 22, 23. 8am-4pm. Location - Bowling Green and surrounding areas.
Please contact Dr. Raymond Poff via e-mail email@example.com for specific details on these courses.
- Acquire an understanding of fly fishing equipment.
- Be able to tie key knots needed for fly fishing.
- Effectively tie common fly patterns.
- Demonstrate proper fly casting techniques.
- Effectively present flies when fishing on flat and moving water.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of entomology as it relates to fishing.
Important things to know:
- No prior fishing experience is required.
- Fly fishing equipment is provided to use during the course.
- Course includes on-campus and off-campus instruction.
- Yes, we do go fly fishing and students do catch fish.
- Students are responsible for transportation to off-campus locations.
About the Instructor
Dr. Raymond Poff is an associate professor in the WKU Department of Kinesiology, Recreation and Sport. He coordinates the undergraduate Recreation Administration major and the WKU Nonprofit Administration graduate certificate program (online).
Prior to starting a career in higher education Dr. Poff served as recreation coordinator of BYU's Outdoors Unlimited, overseeing the full-service outdoor recreation shop and summer rafting program. He has experience both leading and instructing whitewater rafting and kayaking. He also spent several years as the purchasing coordinator and kayaking instructor for IU Outdoor Adventures and is the former president of the Association of Outdoor Recreation and Education.