WKU Folklore Club
Everyone is welcome!
You don't need to be a Folklore Minor to be a member of the Folklore Club, though of course you can be!
Get together outside of class with other students who are interested in folklore and culture. Past club activities have included legend-tripping, Halloween parties, foodways nights, movies and games, and guest speakers on topics related to folklore. Club members also participate in community contests and activities. What will you and your fellow club members do this semester? That's up to you, but it will definitely be fun!
The club meets Friday evenings at the Pioneer Log Cabin on the WKU campus (childhood home of film director John Carpenter).
The Folk Studies Club does many cool activities:
- Parties: The club has annual Halloween and Christmas parties with food, music, movies and games. At the Halloween party, the club has their annual costume contest with prizes for funniest, scariest, and best overall costume .
- Fundraisers: Annual bake sales and Scream-o-Grams. The money helps the club make t-shirts and go on trips.
- Trips: Have included legend tripping, trips to commercial haunted houses, and many other things. Recent destinations have included nearby sites such as the Riverview at Hobson Grove House Museum, and more distant sites such as the Perryville Battlefield. We also legend trip at various sites, near and far.
- Speakers: Speakers have included Lynwood Montell on Kentucky ghost stories, Jack Montgomery on hoodoo and other related belief systems, Jonathan Jeffrey on Kentucky cemeteries, and Haiwang Yuan on Tibetan folklore.
- Miscellaneous: We also do many other activities including decorating a tree for the WKU Museum's annual Christmas tree competition for campus clubs and organizations.
Meet the officers!
President: Jennifer Walworth
Vice President: Maggie Smith
Secretary: Kristin East
Treasurer: Celeste Jackson
Folk Studies Club & Folklore Minor Advisor: Dr. Tim Evans.
Folklore Club members at Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site, KY, 2014
Chris Ausbrooks with 2011 alumni RaShae Jennings at the Folklore club's 2010 Halloween party.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,