Contact The Center
1906 College Heights Blvd. #71031
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1031
Partners in Gifted Education
The Summer Camp for Academically Talented Middle School Students
For gifted students who have completed sixth, seventh, or eighth grade, SCATS, The Summer Camp for Academically Talented Middle School Students, presents a unique learning environment to explore new ideas, develop concepts, make friends, and share experiences. SCATS classes open new doors of learning for gifted young people and provide a comfortable social atmosphere where they can be who they truly are.
SCATS provides a diverse curriculum and a wide range of enrichment experiences for about 200 middle school students every summer. A two-week program, SCATS provides both residential and nonresidential options. Nonresidential students attend classes and return home in the afternoons. Residential campers live in an air-conditioned residence hall on the WKU campus.
From almost thirty different course options, students are placed in four of their top ten choices and attend these classes every day. Class choices range from arts and humanities to mathematics and sciences, opening the doors to a wide variety of interests. SCATS courses are taught by veteran teachers with experience teaching gifted children. Teachers provide students with a great deal of individualized attention in the classroom. SCATS classes go beyond the limitations of the traditional classroom to allow students to learn and create in their own ways.
Though academics are at the heart of SCATS, emphasis is also placed on the social aspects of camp. When not in class, students are likely to be playing sports, participating in cookouts, dances, and talent shows or hanging out on the lawn in front of their residence hall, playing music, making crafts, and getting to know one another. Enjoying learning is the norm at SCATS, where students can find peers who share a wide range of academic and social interests. In many cases, the friendships students form at SCATS are life-long. “It’s not just a learning camp,” one participant remarked. “It’s a place where you feel accepted, loved and respected by your friends. A place you will never want to leave.”
"My middle Tennessee middle schooler had a life changing experience in 2013 at SCATS and is motivated to do the 5 week challenge!! We highly recommend SCATS to all motivated middle school students who want an enriching summer." - Lisa Lipscomb
2015 SCATS Important Information
Dates: June 7 - 19, 2015
- Students must be completing 6th - 8th grade this year.
- Students must be nominated by a teacher, counselor, or principal.
- Students must show high interest/achievement in one or more content areas. (Please see full application for more details.)
- Tuition for residential 2014 SCATS campers was $1,800.
- Tuition for non-residential 2014 SCATS campers was $900.
- A non-refundable deposit of $200 is due with completed application. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard are accepted for payment. Limited financial assistance is available.
- SCATS campers select their courses from a list mailed out two weeks before SCATS begins. Classes selection is not a part of the initial application process.
- VIEW THE 2015 COURSE LIST.
- A blog was kept daily by SCATS Counselors and Center staff throughout SCATS. CLICK HERE or go to scatsblog.org to see what is happened during SCATS 2014 and what SCATS 2015 may look like!
Parents Visit Form
- Please CLICK HERE to view and download the parent visit form. This form is for parents who would like to pick up their child for a visit during camp, and is limited to parents of the students only.
SCATS applications are accepted in the order they are received. Enrollment for residential students is limited to 200; non-residential students are limited to a much smaller number.
Spotlight on The Center's Summer Programs
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,