- Prospective Students
- Current Students
All applicants for admission to the M.A. program in history must sit for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and submit scores to the university as part of their application. The advanced test in History is not required. Students must meet the minimum standards for admission set forth by The Graduate School.
In addition, applicants must meet the following admission standards set forth by the History Department:
- Completion of at least 18 undergraduate credit-hours in history with a grade point average of at least 3.0 in history courses (on a 4.0 scale)
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- A GRE Verbal Reasoning section score of at least 500 (if taken before Aug. 2011) or 150 (if taken Aug. 2011 or later)
- A GRE Quantitative Reasoning section score that meets the University's minimum for admission
- Applicants must submit application and all supporting materials by June 15 (fall semester start) or November 15 (spring semester start)
Applicants must also submit:
- A brief (approximately 750 words) personal statement that discusses why they wish to pursue the Master of Arts degree in History
- A sample research paper (at least five pages long)
Applications to the History Department's graduate programs are handled by The Graduate School. All application materials should be submitted following the instructions on The Graduate School application page.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,