Harlaxton Gatehouse Rental Information
WKU in England at Harlaxton College
WKU faculty, alumni, staff, and friends may rent the renovated and fully furnished “WKU in England” Gatehouse at Harlaxton Manor. Built in 1835, this historic and comfortable flat may be rented on a short or long-term basis for sabbaticals, research trips, or personal travel. You will find the Gatehouse both a beautiful place for relaxation and contemplation, as well an exciting base for adventures throughout the United Kingdom.
“There is tremendous natural beauty surrounding the Gatehouse, and it provides a quiet, peaceful environment for long periods of thinking, reading, and writing. I truly believe that my experience here will be transformative to myself and my work in many ways.”
--Dr. Edward Yager, WKU Professor of Political Science, who stayed at the Gatehouse during a semester sabbatical.
The available flat is suitable for a single person or a couple and contains:
- a full kitchen/dining area, suitable for preparing meals
- full bathroom
- Wi-Fi access
- private clothes washer and dryer
- top-floor living room with writing desk, couch, and fireplace
- private outdoor terrace
- views overlook the Manor and surrounding fields
- Meals can be arranged through Harlaxton if needed
Participate in the life of Harlaxton College
While residing at the “WKU in England” Gatehouse, you have access to a very useful small-college library, computer resource facilities, the Sports Hall fitness center, university classes, the Senior Common Room (a kind of faculty club room, elegantly book-lined and very conducive to writing and study), as well as participation in college events such as lectures, concerts, and cultural programs.
Comfort and Quality
Residents can have the rare and very satisfying experience of living in the beautiful and classic Harlaxton Village with the ancient market town of Grantham (home of Isaac Newton and Margaret Thatcher) just three miles away. The small college pub, "The Bistro," is available in the main manor house and an upscale gastropub, "The Gregory", is within easy walking distance up the lane, just outside of the main gates.
Residents of the “WKU in England” Gatehouse have the unique combination of pastoral quiet for serious work or relaxation, with the resources and excitement of the United Kingdom and Europe only a very short jaunt away.
- the gatehouse is just over one hour by train from London and its universities and libraries, including the British Library and the University of London
- Grantham provides a rail and bus hub for all of Britain and Europe, and Nottingham East Midlands Airport is just an hour away.
- In addition, the Gatehouse is just thirty miles from the University of Leicester, forty miles from the University of Nottingham, forty from the University of Lincoln, seventy-five from Cambridge, and eighty-five from Oxford.
- Good bus service is at the end of the lane at Gregory Pub, taking you wherever you need to go.
Occupants are expected to keep their apartment clean and tidy while in use and, at the end of the letting, leave the apartment generally clean and tidy. For those that would prefer to 'contract out' this responsibility, a cleaning service is available at an additional charge.
Basic Cleaning Service - £40 for a one time clean.
All accommodation enquiries for the “WKU in England” Gatehouse at Harlaxton Manor should be sent in the first instance to:
Dr. Clay Motley, Associate Director of Academics
The Honors College at WKU
Length of Stay
Daily (1-6 nights)