Staff member attends medical records law conference
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Monday, February 27th, 2012
|Return to Archive|
Kathy Trulock, coordinator of patient services/medical records attended the Medical Records Law conference in Bowling Green, KY.
- Victoria E. Boggs –Attorney with Weber & Rose P.S.C.
- Robert Drane – Attorney with Riley & Associates, PLLC
- Kayle J. Miller, RN, CN-III, CAPA, LNC – Owner/Operator of North Star Legal Nurse Consulting
Important topics reviewed and discussed were the major aspects of HIPAA including the: Privacy Rule, Security Rule, and HITECH. During the conference attendees:
- Reviewed a few legal cases were PHI had been mishandled by companies and the fines and penalties that these companies incurred as a result.
- Discussed individuals who had one law suits based on the privacy of their information being violated.
- Discussed the importance of documentation in medical records and the patient’s responsibility in providing us with complete and accurate medical histories.
Kathy thoroughly enjoyed the conference and looks forward to sharing what she learned with the WKU Health Services staff. She will also be reviewing WKUHS current policies and procedures as they relate to the Medical Records Law.
Feb 27th - March 7th
How does one ditch a dependence on soda? Here are five tips for kicking your soda habit for good.
Are artificial sweeteners used in soft drinks and foods safe? Will they make us fat? How much is too much? Science doesn't have all the answers yet, but researchers have some clues.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,