Job Opening: Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Part-Time)
|Author: Terri F.|
Date: Thursday, July 26th, 2012
|Return to Archive|
WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY
WKU Health Services
Part-Time Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
WKU is seeking a Part-time Mental Health Nurse Practitioner to provide mental health care, education, and counseling to WKU Health Services patients following established protocols from the Medical Director and collaborating Psychiatrist. These services include, but are not limited to, diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic mental illnesses, health education, patient advocacy, referral, and collaboration with other health care professionals. Sensitivity to mental health issues and a willingness to discuss them with patients is necessary. This position reports to the Medical Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Delivers mental health care according to standards of care, and additional certifications, through collaborative practice agreements with WKU Health Services Physicians and a contracted local Psychiatrist under the supervision of the Medical Director
- Diagnoses and treats patients with behavioral health needs consistent with the health services, policies, philosophies, and the advanced nursing practice parameters of the state of Kentucky
- Performs a full initial psychiatric evaluation and diagnosis based on DSM-IVTR criteria and provide follow up management as needed (including psychotropic medication management and psychotherapy)
- Assists the Medical Director and the Executive Director with state regulations, practice patterns, and relevant updates in the field of Advanced Registered Nursing, primarily psychiatric nursing
- Ensures that all licenses, certifications, and malpractice coverage remain current
- Initiates communication with Medical Director, Clinical Nurse Manger, and Quality Assurance Coordinator on issues pertaining to quality of patient care
- Collaborates with staff from the Counseling and Testing Center
- Collaborates with members of Campus Partners in addressing issues with “Patients of Concern”
- Seeks out and attends appropriate professional training, seminars, and conferences for continuing education credits and keeps abreast of current knowledge, regulations, and events in the medical field.
- Serves as a mentor and resource person for the clinical staff
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Medical Director or Executive Director
- Graduate of a MSN program, with Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner emphasis, from an accredited school of nursing.
- An active, current appropriate state RN license and APRN certification. Licenses/Certifications must be in good standing. Advanced practice certificate/license must be unencumbered in the state of Kentucky.
- At least one year of clinical practice as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Current and unrestricted Federal DEA registration
- Knowledge of Advanced Nursing practice, including all laws and principles of same
- Proficiency in diagnosing and treating patients with behavioral health needs consistent with the health services, policies, philosophies, and advanced nursing practice parameters of the state of Kentucky
- Proficiency in performing full initial psychiatric evaluation and diagnosis based on DSM-IV TR criteria and provide follow up management as needed (including psychotropic medication management and psychotherapy)
- Ability to screen high risk individuals for safety and referral for hospitalization as clinically indicated
- Willingness to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to provide holistic patient care
- Assists with internal operation in cooperation with other clinicians for Quality Assurance and Peer Review purposes
- Ability to order laboratory tests as indicated, refers to primary care providers and/or specialists as indicated, and prescribes/dispenses psychotropic medications as allowed by Kentucky state nursing laws
- Skills in oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Medical Provider CPR Certification
Expected Hourly Pay Range: $30.00 - $40.00Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a letter of application, current resume, and names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply: http://asaweb.wku.edu/sjobs. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Please reference requisition number S3359. For full consideration, submit application materials by August 15, 2012. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
WKU football takes on UAB at home on Saturday, October 4, 2014.
Thursday, October 2nd - Sunday, October 5th
Commuter Permit Holders ONLY
How does one ditch a dependence on soda? Here are five tips for kicking your soda habit for good.
Are artificial sweeteners used in soft drinks and foods safe? Will they make us fat? How much is too much? Science doesn't have all the answers yet, but researchers have some clues.
Speed Limit Reduced on Normal and State Streets
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,