Western Kentucky University

Human Resources News

Prevent Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

Daylight Saving Time ends on Sunday, November 4th, 2012. As you prepare to set your clocks back one hour, remember to change the batteries in your carbon monoxide (CO) detector. If you don't have a battery-powered or battery back-up CO alarm, now is a great time to buy one. More than 450 people die each year in the US from unintentional, non-fire related CO poisoning.

CO is found in fumes produced by furnaces, vehicles, portable generators, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, or burning charcoal or wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO.

When power outages occur during emergencies such as hurricanes or winter storms, the use of alternative sources of power for heating, cooling, or cooking can cause carbon monoxide (CO) to build up in a home, garage, or camper and to poison the people and animals inside.

 

 

How to Recognize CO Poisoning

The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or who have been drinking alcohol can die from CO poisoning before ever having symptoms.

You Can Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure

•Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

•Do install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

•Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.

•Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.

•Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

•Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.

•Don't heat your house with a gas oven.

CO poisoning is entirely preventable. You can protect yourself and your family by acting wisely in case of a power outage and learning the symptoms of CO poisoning.

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/features/TimeChangeCODetectors/

Categories
Latest Headlines
Do you park in Parking Structure 1 or Adams Street Lot?

You only need an Housing Non Premium Permit.

Find out Where to Park if You Live on Campus

See Map of Housing Non Premium and Housing Premium Zones

Commuters Are you having trouble finding parking? We hear you!

Read to see what we are doing and what you can do.

Featured Articles
5 Ways to Drop Your Soda Habit

How does one ditch a dependence on soda? Here are five tips for kicking your soda habit for good.

Real or fake sugar: Does it matter?

Are artificial sweeteners used in soft drinks and foods safe? Will they make us fat? How much is too much? Science doesn't have all the answers yet, but researchers have some clues.

Speed Limit Changes

Speed Limit Reduced on Normal and State Streets

 Last Modified 7/22/13