- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Prepare for Travel to Kentucky
Welcome to the U.S.A.!
Travel to Nashville, Tennessee, USA
To arrive at WKU, board an international flight to a major U.S. airport such as ones in New York City, Chicago, or Detroit and take a domestic/local flight to Nashville International Airport (BNA).
Nashville International Airport (BNA). Nashville is a major commercial city located in Tennessee State, a one hour drive to Bowling Green, Kentucky. The next closest cities would be Louisville KY, and Lexington KY and they are about a 2-3 hours drive from Bowling Green.
- Please purchase your airline ticket and make your travel arrangement after your F-1 or J-1 student visa is secure.
- Please try to arrange your plane to arrive in Nashville during the day so that you can make arrangements for shuttle to Bowling Green
- Never leave your luggage unattended at the airport and do not allow strangers to carry your bags. Do not carry bags belonging to others
- Always observe signs and regulations in public places
- Always carry your valid credit card and some cash in the amount of 400 USD (U.S. dollars) in case of an emergency. Carry some change in dollars, like one dollar bills. Carry Travel checks as much as possible.
- Do not accept rides from strangers. Take only official taxis from the airport to your final destination
- Be careful who you give personal information to (e.g., your name or address).
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you are lost, ask a police officer, security guard, airline personnel, or airport workers for assistance.
- In case of an emergency, dial 911 from any telephone
How to get to Bowling Green?
You can also arrange airport shuttle service to Bowling Green from Nashville. Please visit InShuttle Transportation or Airport Shuttle of Bowling Green for more details. For InShuttle Transportation, the cost is about $70 +$5 for tip per person/one way. If you have a WKU ID, the cost is $50 + $5 tip per person/one way for a ride from Nashville International Airport (BNA) to WKU International Student Office (ISO) office at 1536 State Street, Bowling Green, Kentucky 42101.
What do I need to bring with me to Bowling Green?
We recommend you bring the following items for your room at WKU or rental apartment off campus. If you cannot bring them, make sure to have extra money to purchase them in the United States.
There may be some items that you may see as more important than others, but ISO strongly suggests you bring/purchase the items listed below to make your life comfortable:
- Address book
- Eyeglasses/contact lenses (if needed)
- Medicine and prescriptions (for several months)
- Towel, soap, and Toothbrush
- Slippers/flip flops
- Warm sweaters or coats
- Pillowcases, Bedspread and sheets (size 2m X 3m)
- Clothes (jackets, dress shoes, and Pajamas)
- Music from your home country
- Traditional dress/outfit
- Personal computer software
- Photos (family and friends)
Most International Flights allow each person a maximum of two pieces of luggage weighing 50lbs (22 kg) each (22 kg x 2) (does not include hand luggage). Please make sure to write your name and address on the labels of your luggage.
If you will be making more than one stop in your flight/trip, make sure to write your final destination on the labels of your luggage.
In case of emergency or if your luggage is lost, always write down an address where your luggage can be sent in case of a misplace.
Note: All of the items above are very necessary for all new international students and scholars coming to WKU. Please make sure to include all of them in your bags. However, for more helpful information on your preparation before coming to the United States, please visit the eduPASS Web site.
You may need to spend the first night or two in a local motel. There are over 30 hotels and motels in Bowling Green. To find a hotel, you may visit http://www.visitbgky.com/stay/
Welcome to Bowling Green and WKU!
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,