TopperMail will be upgraded from Live@EDU to Office 365 beginning June 19, 2013. This upgrade process will likely last several weeks and will be performed by Microsoft. IT does not have a definite completion date for the upgrade but an email will be sent informing you when completed. During the upgrade, you will still have access to your email and SkyDrive accounts.
Office 365 includes your favorite Office features online and allows you to create sophisticated reports and presentations, collaborate in real time with classmates, and share and edit documents from your phone, PC, or Mac.
What does this mean for you?
After the upgrade you will have two separate accounts with the same user name and password that you use to access:
- Office 365 account: This account accesses your TopperMail email and calendar. WKU administers this account.
- Personal Microsoft account: This personal account accesses all your existing SkyDrive content, Messenger, and other Microsoft services such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. * Note WKU no longer administers this account and cannot reset the password for you.
What do you need to do now?
Complete the following steps:
- If you use Internet Explorer 6 or 7, upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer.
- If you use other web browsers, visit Microsoft's browser compatibility requirements page for additional information.
- If you use Microsoft Outlook 2003 to read your email, upgrade to Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010. Visit WKU Software & Media Services: http://www.wku.edu/it/sms/
What should you expect?
- Forgotten password: If you forget your password during the upgrade, please be aware of the following:
- To recover access to your accounts:
- If you are unable to reset it using the methods above, you may contact the IT Helpdesk to reset your Office 365 account password, but not personal Microsoft account password, after the upgrade is complete. Please visit http://www.wku.edu/it/office365 for updates.
- Email: Continue using Microsoft Outlook Web App or Microsoft Outlook to view and send email, but you will sign in at a different website (https://www.outlook.com/topper.wku.edu). You may notice our WKU logo in Outlook Web App has been replaced with the Office 365 logo. Microsoft states there are no settings changes needed for Microsoft Outlook following the upgrade.
- File sharing: Use Microsoft SharePoint Online for sharing files and Office Web Apps for creating and reading documents.
- Instant messaging and online meetings: Use Microsoft Lync Online for both instant messaging and online meetings.
- Mobile devices: Your mail profile must be recreated due to changes on the server which will not affect your mail messages stored on the server. Go into the mail settings on your phone or tablet, and remove the existing mail profile and recreate it. The device will auto discover the new server and connect to Office 365.
What do you need to do after the upgrade?
Complete the following steps:
- Access your email and calendar at https://www.outlook.com/topper.wku.edu.
- Sign into SkyDrive at https://skydrive.live.com.
- Please remember to update your Security Info with Microsoft to ensure you can access your personal account, even if you lose the password.
Information and Support
For more information about the upgrade, see the Checklist for users.
If you have questions, need help, contact the IT Helpdesk at 270-745-7000 or via live chat at http://www.wku.edu/it/chat/.