Cliff Shaluta, M.A.
Coordinator Advertising & Public Relations, Professor
Office: MMTH 312
Phone: (270) 745-5833
Advertising Account Planning
Advertising Internship and Advertising in a Digital World
- 8/00-present -- Coordinator of the Ad Program, Western Kentucky University
- 2009-present -- Professor of Advertising, Western Kentucky University
- 4/95-5/2009 -- Associate Professor of Advertising, Western Kentucky University
- 8/89-4/95 -- Assistant Professor of Advertising, Western Kentucky University
- 1/86-present -- Consultant, Advice Communications, BG
- 10/95-4/97 -- Columnist, Smokeshop Magazine, NY
- 10/94-1/96 -- Public Relations Coord, Livestock Conservation Inst., BG
- 12/89-6/95 -- Columnist, C-Store News, NY
- 12/85-7/89 -- Advertising/Sales Promo Manager, Sunshine-Jr Stores, FL
- 8/86-6/88 -- Adjunct Professor, FSU, Panama City, FL Campus
- 6/84-1/85 -- Marketing Representative, Computerland, FL
- 8/81-11/83 -- Sales Representative, WVAH-TV, WV
- MA, marketing communications, Marshall University, WV
- BBA, marketing major, Marshall University, WV
- Wrote an article about e-learning for Convenience Store People. CSP is a nationally distributed publication that targets the management and supervisory personnel in retail convenience stores and petroleum outlets.
- Developed an educational internet portal for Convenience Store People. The portal involved a significant amount of work and will offer various types of training to industry supervisory personnel. I led the first course entitled Customers Come F.I.R.S.T.
- Designed a membership kit including a full-color folder and collateral materials for the National Institute of Animal Agriculture based in Bowling Green, Kentucky. NIAA is a national membership organization devoted to the heath and safety of livestock and meat production.
- Created an interactive CD-ROM for the National Institute of Animal Agriculture to showcase the organization to prospective members.
- Designed and produced a website for Dr. Timothy Donley. Summer 2002. Dr. Donley is a local periodontist. http://www.drdonley.com
- Essay for Advertising Age's Encyclopedia of Advertising was published in Spring 2003 by Frizroy Dearborn. The chapter was a historical analysis of the advertising of Levi Strauss.
- Directed and produced an interactive CD-ROM of the Ad Summit. The Ad Summit was held in the studios of WKYU-TV and was hosted by Barbara Deeb. The topic was the future of the Internet and the panel included professionals from HitCents, EJ Footwear and Doe-Anderson. The CD-ROM has been used in classes, distributed to high school technology teachers, and will be used to help promote the new ad/pr agency.
Recent Service Work
- Developed a column and created a web site for the American Academy of Advertising. Both the column and web site deal with the use of technology in the classroom.
- Consulted with the managers of Indonesian radio stations during the InterNews session in November 2001. My presentations and later discussions with the group involved how to collect and analyze audience research.
- Worked with Ms. Amy Merrick to develop a grant proposal to address the problem of non-source point pollution in Kentucky. The grant was approved. It is one of the largest grants of its kind awarded in the state. Ad faculty will be responsible for developing PSA materials to generate awareness of the problem. The ad program's portion of the grant is $32,000.
- Partnered with the AdFed of Louisville to support their high school advertising competition. The Ad program helped sponsor the High School Marketing Challenge held in Louisville. Over 100 students participated in the event.
- Developed a plan to implement ImageWest, the student ad agency
- Conceptualized and implemented the AdExpo to help recruit new ad majors.
- Chaired a committee to develop an initiative to address retention within the School of Journalism &Broadcasting. The result was the Stay on Track program, which is now in place.
- Organized three training programs for J&B faculty
- Led departmental student recruitment committee.
- Worked on several initiatives for the School of Journalism and Broadcasting including implementation of the Program of Distinction, the university productivity award and the strategic plan.
- Wrote a book review for the Center for Teaching and Learning. The article was a review of E-Moderating: the Key to Teaching & Learning Online by Gilly Salmon.
- Worked with Hughes & Coleman to coordinate Kids are Special.
- Partnered with the Nashville Ad Federation to support their career day for area college students interested in advertising.
- Managed BannerTech ' a division of the new student agency
- Served on the equipment committee for the new building
- Served on the search committee for the new Director for the School of Journalism & Broadcasting.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,