- TopSCHOLAR - WKU Archives
- WKU Hilltopper Heritage
- WKU Records Management
- Donate to WKU Archives
- Volunteer in WKU Archives
- Request Information
- Share a Hilltopper Tradition
- Manuscripts & Folklife Archives
- Kentucky Museum
- Staff Directory
- Need a Speaker?
30 new faculty members
Industrial Arts Building renovation
Homecoming game against EKU 17-7 loss
Community Players - Desk Set
Mary Wood College Heights Herald reporter tours with JFK on campaign
Alice Chumbley named Miss Kentucky
Ronnie Sutton elected class president
Phi Delta Kappa organized
Rocket Club sets off 7 foot rocket
Senior football stars
Winton Boone, Bill Pegausch, Herb Wassom, Dave Browning, Francis Payne, Gerald Poynter, Ron Downard, Lewis Johnson, Jim Hughes, Doug Mumford and Jerry Wilder
Basketball Hilltoppers ranked #5 nationally
Ronnie Sutton elected Student Advisory Council president
Donna Rigsby named Military Ball Queen
2 ½ Million Dollar Combined Gymnasium, Classroom Building Will Seat 10,000 – announcement
of Diddle Arena construction
Adult Education courses begin
Little Show revue in Chapel featured
Sherill Scanlon, Benny Vicous, Bill Chelf, Richard Oakley, Mary Charles Hibbs, Lon Sosh, Millie Wood, Pat Lewis, Rachael Rigsby, Barbara Hardgraves, Kim Benson, Toby Van meter, Bill Lightfoot, Sylvia Salem, John Conn, Chuck Miller and Patty Moats
Western Players perform Five Days
Kelly Thompson named 1960 Kentuckian of the Year
Karsrud Chorale perform
Western Players put on Male Animal
Ted Urban wins Ogden Oratorical Contest
Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra plays at the Talisman Ball
Charlie “The Horse” Osborne, Panny Sarakatsannis and George Warren
Carolyn Turner is Mountain Laurel candidate
Lotta Day dies
Western Players – Dark of the Moon
Pershing Rifles take 1st place in Third Regimental Area
Alice Chumbley and Tom Covington named Talisman king and queen
William Bivin gives commencement address
WKU considered for educational television
William Jenkins to head new Business, Government Department
Charlie Osborne named MVP
Rock House team wins intramural basketball
Tennis team wins OVC
Phi Delta Kappa educational fraternity organized
"Top Topper Commandments," College Heights Herald, March 17, 1961
I'm sure that we're all familiar with the "Ten Commandments." Well, Western has inaugurated ten of its own - so adhere to such, or thou shalt be in danger of blackballing and probation.
- Honor thy dorm mother and father so as to insure thyself against campusing.
- Thou shalt not take the name of Dean Cravens in vain.
- Thous shalt not covet thy neighbor's copy of Brave New World.
- Thou shalt not cut classes more than thy allotted 2 times.
- Thou shalt not commit tomfoolery.
- Thou shalt not spend more than 3/4 of thy time at the Bar of Snacks.
- Thou shalt not openly, display affections on campus.
- Thou shalt not run over Al trying to get a parking place.
- Thou shalt not be caught suitcasing every weekend.
- THOU SHALT NOT SWEAT IT!
Information taken from College Heights Herald which began publication in October for the 1960-1961 school year.