A valid WKU identification card (Big Red Card or Friends of the Library Card) is required to check out any library materials.
Public Service Hours
There will be someone to assist you at the Circulation Desk the following hours:
Monday - Friday
7:45 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.
- Student Borrowers
- The loan period for most circulating library materials is four weeks for students. Audiovisual materials circulate for seven days. There is a limit of 10 items per type of AV material..
- Faculty and Staff
- The loan period for most library materials is one semester. Leisure books circulate for four weeks, and audiovisual materials for one week. There is a limit of 10 items per type of AV material.
- Friends of the Library
- Friends of WKU Libraries may borrow circulating library materials for four weeks, audiovisual materials for one week.
- To become a "Friend," you may contact the WKU Libraries.
- Checked out items may be returned to the Circulation Desk on the 4th floor, the VPAL Desk on the 2nd floor, or at any of the branch libraries. There are also book returns located at the Java City entrance and outside the 4th floor entrance to the Cravens library.
- Renewals can either be made at the libraries or online. There are no telephone renewals. Items on hold or recall may not be renewed. Faculty, staff, and students may renew items for a total of 24 months online before the items must be brought into the library to be renewed in person. Friends and other types of patrons have a maximum of 12 months before the items must be brought in.
- Fines are $.10 per day per item. When the fine on an item reaches $6.00, the item is declared lost, and the patron will be charged the replacement cost of the item plus a $35.00 processing fee. A lost item that is returned will only accrue the $6.00 overdue fine. Faculty, staff, and students are blocked when their total fines reach $50.00, at which point they cannot check out or renew any library materials until the matter is resolved.
- Fines for overdue reserve materials are $.25 per hour or $.75 per day per item.
- Fines can be paid at the Circulation Desk on the 4th Floor of the Cravens Library. They may also be paid by phone with a credit card. Please call 270-745-3951 for more information.
- Students, faculty, and staff may fill out a Search card at the Circulation Desk for an item not found on the shelf that is not checked out. Library staff will search for the item, and once the item is found it is held at the Circulation Desk on the 4th floor of the Cravens Library for one week, and the patron is notified by a mailed notice or by telephone.
- A Hold is a request to have a book or other library material that is currently checked out to another patron held at the Circulation Desk when it is returned. Holds can be placed from the One-Search Box online catalog (formerly TOPCAT) page for a particular book. A hold request can also be filled out in person at the Circulation Desk or online here.
- A Recall is a request to get a book or other item that is checked out to another patron back as soon as possible. Recalls can be placed from the online catalog page for a particular item. An item can also be recalled at the Circulation Desk or by this online form. All library materials are subject to recall for use by another patron.
- If an item is recalled, please return it to the library as soon as possible. Recalled items not returned by the new due date accrue fines at $1 per day. If you fail to return a recalled item, your library borrowing privileges will be blocked automatically by the circulation system and you will be billed for the replacement cost of the book, plus a $35.00 processing fee. Friends of the libraries do not have recall privileges.
- The library has laptops available for checkout by faculty and students at the Circulation Desk on the 4th floor of Cravens. They check out for a maximum of three hours* and do not leave the library. They have access to the wireless network in the library and DVD drives, as well as lots of software. There is a form to be filled out before checking out a laptop, and an instruction sheet/map of the wireless coverage area is provided. Overdue fines are $0.10 per minute.
- *Laptops checked out within four hours of closing are always due back one hour before the library closes.
- AskUs! (Reference Services)
- Access Services
- Distance Education Library Services
- Educational Resources Center
- Electronic Information Resources
- Etown-Fort Knox Regional Library
- Glasgow Regional Library
- Government Documents|Law
- Interlibrary Loan
- Information Literacy
- Owensboro Regional Library
- Reserve Materials
- Visual & Performing Art Library
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,