Students who wish to declare a 528 extended mathematics major are initially designated as 528P (Extended Mathematics Prep). In order to be granted full admission into the 528 major, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Complete MATH 136, MATH 137, AND MATH 307 or MATH 310, with a grade of C or better in each course.
- Have an overall GPA of at least 2.4 in all mathematics program courses completed prior
to admission (MATH 136
- Submit a Change of Major form to change from 528P to a 528 major.
A minimum of 48 hours of mathematics is required. No minor or second major is required. All mathematics courses listed as prerequisites for other courses must have been completed with a grade of C or above.
Logic Requirement – 3 hours
PHIL 215 or EE 180 is required. Students should complete one of these courses in the first year of study as a prerequisite for MATH 307. PHIL 215 counts toward General Education Category B-II.
Computer Science Requirement – 8 hours
CS 180 and CS 181 are required - each is a 4 hour course. (These courses were previously numbered as CS 240 and CS 241, respectively.) Contact an Office Associate in the Department of Computer Science (745 - 3651) in order to lift the restriction for registering for CS 180. Starting in Spring 2012, PHIL 215 is a prerequisite for CS 181. For catalog years before Fall 2008, the requirement is only one of either CS 230 / 170 or CS 240 / 180.
Mathematics Requirements – 48 hours
1. Required Courses (30 hrs) – MATH 136 (4 hrs), MATH 137 (4 hrs), MATH 237 (4 hrs), MATH 307 (3 hrs), MATH 310 (3 hrs), MATH 317 (3 hrs), MATH 337 (3 hrs), MATH 498 (1 hr). MATH 337 is not required of students who were declared as 528 or 528P before Summer 2010. Prior to Fall 2010, MATH 136, 137, 237 were numbered as MATH 126, 227, 327, respectively, and totaled 13 hours.
2. Of the remaining 23 hours that are required, at least 12 hours must be in mathematics coursework at the 400-level. All 23 remaining hours must be earned from the following courses: STAT 301, MATH 275 (up to 3 hours), MATH 305, MATH 315, MATH 323, MATH 331, MATH 382, MATH 398 (up to 3 hours), MATH 405, MATH 406, MATH 409, MATH 415, MATH 417, MATH 423, MATH 431, MATH 432, MATH 435, MATH 439, MATH 450, MATH 470, MATH 475 (up to 6 hours), MATH 482. Prior to Fall 2010, MATH 382 & 482 were numbered as MATH 329 & 429, respectively.
3. You must complete at least one of these sequences: MATH 317–417; MATH 382–482; MATH 331–435; MATH 405–406; MATH 337–431; MATH 337–450.
- Course Descriptions
- Undergraduate Catalog
- Financial Aid
- Transfer Equivalencies
- Transfer Equivalency Request
- Careers in Math
- Career Services Center
- Office of Teacher Services
- TEACH Grant
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,