Students who wish to declare a 728 mathematics major are initially designated as 728P (Mathematics Prep). In order to be granted full admission into the 728 major, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
- Complete MATH 136, MATH 137, AND MATH 307 or MATH 310, with a grade of C or better in each course.
- Have an overall GPA of at least 2.4 in all mathematics program courses completed prior
to admission (MATH 136
- Submit a Change of Major form to change from 728P to a 728 major.
A minimum of 39 hours of mathematics is required. The major/minor combination must have at least 59 hours with 52 unduplicated hours. All mathematics courses listed as prerequisites for other courses must have been completed with a grade of C or above.
Logic Requirement – 3 hours
PHIL 215 or EE 180 is required. Students should complete one of these courses in the first year of study as a prerequisite for MATH 307. PHIL 215 counts toward General Education Category B-II.
Computer Science Requirement – 8 hours
CS 180 and CS 181 are required - each is a 4 hour course. Contact an Office Associate in the Department of Computer Science (745 - 3651) in order to lift the restriction for registering for CS 180. Starting in Spring 2012, PHIL 215 is a prerequisite for CS 181.
Mathematics Requirements – 39 hours
1. Required Courses (27 hrs) – MATH 136 (4 hrs), MATH 137 (4 hrs), MATH 237 (4 hrs), MATH 307 (3 hrs), MATH 310 (3 hrs), MATH 317 (3 hrs), MATH 337 (3 hrs), MATH 498 (3 hrs)
2. Two courses from MATH 405, 406, 415, 417, 423, 431, 432, 435, 439, 450, 470, 473, 482
3. Six elective hours from MATH 275 (up to 3 hours), STAT 301, MATH 305, 315, 323, 331, 370, 382, 398 (up to 3 hours), 405, 406, 415, 417, 423, 432, 435, 439, 450, 470, 475 (up to 6 hours), 482
4. Students may take certain 500-level mathematics courses for undergraduate credit with the approval of the Dept. Head in place of courses listed in items 2 or 3. See bottom of this page for more information on enrolling in graduate courses.
5. In addition, 12 credit hours of supporting courses from the Ogden College of Science and Engineering or Gordon Ford College of Business (courses such as mathematics, statistics, sciences, engineering, economics, finance and accounting) are required. Any courses from these two colleges that are
- general education or count for a major in the college, and
- are not counted for credit in your minor or second major
can be applied to this requirement.
- Course Descriptions
- Undergraduate Catalog
- Financial Aid
- Transfer Equivalencies
- Transfer Equivalency Request
- Careers in Math
- Career Services Center
- Office of Teacher Services
- TEACH Grant
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,