Dr. Melanie Autin
Office: COHH 4103
Phone: (270) 745-6171
2007 Ph.D., Statistics, University of South Carolina
2005 M.S., Statistics, University of South Carolina
2002 B.S., Mathematics, Louisiana State University
Courses Taught at WKU
Current Semester (Fall 2013):
- MATH 183: Introductory Statistics
- MATH 382: Probability & Statistics I
- BIOL 283: Introductory Biostatistics
- MATH 116: College Algebra
- MATH 183/203: Introductory Statistics / Statistics
- MATH 382/329: Probability & Statistics I
- MATH 482/429: Probability & Statistics II
- MATH 529: Applied Probability
- STAT 301: Introductory Probability and Applied Statistics
- STAT 330: Introduction to Statistical Software
- STAT 549: Statistical Methods I
Dr. Autin's recent research focus has been in the area of statistics education, particularly in using non-traditional methods in teaching introductory statistics. Dr. Autin has also conducted research in the areas of sequential probability ratio tests, generalized additive models, false discovery rates, and mixture experiments.
Dr. Autin also serves as co-director of the Applied Statistics Center.
- Marchionda, H., Autin, M., and Bateiha, S. (2014). The Effect of Instruction on Developing Autonomous Learners. Annual Perspectives in Mathematics Education 2014: Using Research to Improve Instruction. National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (accepted for publication).
- Autin, M., Bateiha, S., and Marchionda, H. (2013). Power through Struggle in Introductory Statistics. PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies, Vol 23(10), 935-948.
- Parody, R. J. and Autin, M. A. (2013). Confident Visualization Techniques in the Analysis of Mixture Experiments. International Journal of Experimental Design and Process Optimisation, Vol 3(3), 245-262.
- Autin, M., Bateiha, S., and Marchionda, H. (2012). Early Student Dissonance in Introductory Statistics. In Reeder, S.L. (Ed.). Proceedings of the 39th Annual Meeting of the Research Council on Mathematics Learning. Charlotte, NC.
- Bateiha, S., Autin, M., and Marchionda, H. (2012). A Systemic Approach to Teaching Mathematics for Social Justice with Preservice Teachers. In Reeder, S.L. (Ed.). Proceedings of the 39th Annual Meeting of the Research Council on Mathematics Learning. Charlotte, NC.
- Jaki, T. and Autin, M. A. (2009). Using a problem-based approach to teach statistics to postgraduate science students: a case study. MSOR Connections. Vol 9(2), 40-47.
- Autin, M. A. and Edwards, D. (2010). Nonparametric harmonic regression for estuarine water quality data. Environmetrics, Vol 21(6), 588–605.