RIbbon Cutting - Student Business Accelerator
|Author: Lynn Minton|
Date: Friday, November 30th, 2012
The WKU Student Business Accelerator launched in spring 2012 to give students the opportunity to start a business while they were still in college. “Starting a business before you have a family and perhaps mortgage responsibilities makes a lot of sense for many people,” said Doug Rohrer, Associate Vice President for Research and Economic Development. “We are here to help students succeed with their ventures, but most of all, give them an opportunity to learn from this experience."
“Faced with increasing overseas competition the United States can only maintain our pre-eminent position by becoming increasingly innovative,” said Dr. Gordon C. Baylis, Vice President of Research and President of the WKU Research Foundation. “The Student Business Accelerator fits naturally into the rich tradition of WKU preparing our students for a world where the only constant is change.”
Students are given free space, high speed internet, and shared use of conference and meeting rooms. "The purpose of the Student Business Accelerator is to foster and support student entrepreneurship,” Jeff Hook, Director of the Small Business Accelerator, said. “We provide business development guidance and other critical resources that are required to move these early stage businesses forward."
The WKU Research Foundation covers up to $500 in incidentals expenses to get the students started. Funds can be used for state filing fees, business cards, URL registrations, etc. In some cases, the WKURF also provides modest first time funding in return for an equity position in the company. Since the student accelerator began assisting students nine student companies have utilized the program. “We are pleased to be able to offer this opportunity to student entrepreneurs in the community,” Doug Rohrer said.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Details regarding auditions for The Dance Project at WKU.
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author