WKU to host Southeastern Section of American Physical Society in 2013
|Date: Wednesday, December 5th, 2012||Return to Archive|
WKU will host the 80th annual meeting of the Southeastern Section of the American Physical Society (SESAPS) next November.
The meeting is scheduled for Nov. 20-23 at the Sloan Convention Center in Bowling Green.
About 200 to 300 physicists, including faculty members, undergraduate students and graduate students, are expected to attend the 2013 meeting, according to Dr. Edward Kintzel, assistant professor in WKU’s Department of Physics and Astronomy and director of the WKU NOVA Center.
The APS Southeastern Section includes Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Puerto Rico.
“It’s a pretty big deal that WKU will be hosting the SESAPS meeting,” Dr. Kintzel said. “This will be a great opportunity for institutions from the Southeast region to see what WKU has to offer, including our unique research tools like the NOVA Center’s Large Chamber Scanning Electron Microscope and our collaborations with business and industry.”
The 2012 meeting, hosted by Florida State and Florida A&M, was held last month in Tallahassee, Fla. Other recent hosts have included Virginia Tech, Louisiana State, Georgia Tech/Georgia State, North Carolina State, Vanderbilt, William and Mary, Florida, Oak Ridge National Lab, Auburn, Virginia and Mississippi State.
Dr. Kintzel and the local organizing committee plan to explore partnerships with regional universities and sponsorships from area businesses. The group also will be sharing information and providing updates online, on Facebook and on Twitter.
In addition to research presentations, scientific sessions and lectures, the meeting will include a graduate fair for undergraduate students to learn more about graduate school or employment opportunities, Dr. Kintzel said.
The American Physical Society is a non-profit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
Contact: Edward Kintzel, (270) 745-6200.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Relocate Vehicles by 5 PM Friday
5/31 - 6/1
Need to reach us over the summer? Don't forget that our hours change! Click to find full dates and times of opening.
Eura Shin, a second-year student at The Gatton Academy, has received a funded summer internship in Germany through a competitive, international scholarship.
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,