2 photojournalism graduates take top honors in Hearst multimedia contest
|Date: Tuesday, January 15th, 2013||Return to Archive|
Zack Conkle of Louisville received a $2,600 award for winning the Narrative Multimedia Storytelling – Features category with his piece titled “Wright’s Law.” Leslye Davis of Greensburg finished second and received a $2,000 award. WKU’s School of Journalism & Broadcasting will receive matching awards.
Conkle and Davis graduated in May 2012 and are not eligible to participate in the Hearst championship.
WKU is in first place after the first of four contests in the Intercollegiate Multimedia Competition followed by Syracuse University; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (tie); University of Missouri (tie); University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Kent State University; Southern Illinois University, Carbondale (tie); University of Montana (tie); Iowa State University; and San Francisco State University. The final intercollegiate winners are announced in April.
Often called the “Pulitzers of College Journalism,” the William Randolph Hearst Foundation’s Journalism Awards Program is conducted under the auspices of accredited schools of the Association of Schools of Journalism and Mass Communication. The program, in which 106 undergraduate journalism programs across the nation are eligible to participate, consists of five monthly writing competitions, two photojournalism competitions, three broadcast news competitions and four multimedia competitions and awards up to $500,000 in scholarships and grants annually.
In 2011-12, WKU’s School of Journalism & Broadcasting won the Intercollegiate Multimedia Competition, won the Intercollegiate Photojournalism Competition for the fourth consecutive year and 20th time in 23 years and finished fourth in the Overall Intercollegiate Competition. WKU has finished among the top eight nationally in the Hearst overall rankings for 19 consecutive years and won the national title in 2005, 2001 and 2000.
Contact: School of Journalism & Broadcasting, (270) 745-4144.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
May 20th - May 26th
Parking and Transit Service May 13 to May 31
Map and Tentative Schedule
The World Council for Gifted and Talented Children will host its 20th Biennial World Conference, "Celebrating Giftedness and Creativity," August 10-14, 2013, at the Galt House Hotel and Conference Center in Louisville, KY.