2 Gatton Academy seniors recognized as finalists for National Achievement Scholarships
|Date: Monday, January 28th, 2013||Return to Archive|
Charvinia Neblett of Russellville and Henry Uradu of Russell, both seniors at the Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky, have been recognized as finalists in the National Achievement Scholarship Program, an honor which potentially opens the door to college scholarship opportunities.
The National Achievement Scholarship Program is an academic competition established in 1964 specifically to honor scholastically talented black American high school students and provide college scholarships for a substantial number of the most outstanding participants in each annual competition. More than 1.5 million students take the Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test each year and approximately 160,000 students request consideration for the National Achievement Program. About 1,600 of the highest scoring applicants for the National Achievement Program are honored as semifinalists. Of the 1,600 semifinalists, about 80 percent attain finalist status.
For these two Gatton seniors, it’s a great way to begin their final semester of high school even as they focus on the college admissions process ahead. According to Gatton Academy Director Dr. Tim Gott, this honor underscores the work of both these incredible students.
“They are tremendous representatives of the Gatton Academy, the state of Kentucky, and students across the nation,” Gott said. “We look forward to seeing what these students will accomplish in the years ahead.”
To be considered in the rigorous competition for National Achievement scholarships, finalists had to meet additional standards and fulfilling several requirements. These include having a record of very high academic performance of college preparatory course work, leadership and school involvement, submitting SAT scores that confirm PSAT performance, and being fully endorsed and recommended by a high school official.
Since students take the qualifying PSAT exam in October of their junior year of high school, much of the preparation stems from learning opportunities during their freshman and sophomore years of high school. The Gatton Academy builds on those experiences to provide students with a robust application and preparation for the SAT, a critical component in becoming a finalist.
“It is an honor to be named a National Achievement finalist,” Gott said. “These students have demonstrated a level of excellence that very few can claim. All of us, the Gatton staff and the schools they represent back home, value the opportunity to work with such outstanding young people.”
Contact: Chad Phillips, (270) 745-6565.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Details regarding auditions for The Dance Project at WKU.
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author