Teams from area high schools to compete in 2013 Physics Olympics
|Date: Friday, February 8th, 2013||Return to Archive|
D.I.Y. Physics is the theme for the 2013 Western Kentucky Physics Olympics on Feb. 23.
Teams from Allen County-Scottsville, Barren County, Bowling Green, Franklin-Simpson, Greenwood, South Warren and Warren Central high schools are preparing to compete. Sponsored by the Department of Physics & Astronomy, the half-day competition consists of a pentathlon of challenging problem-solving activities that reward teamwork, creativity and communication.
This year’s event will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 23 at the Thompson Complex Central Wing. Registration deadline is Feb. 15. Teams can register online at http://physics.wku.edu/olympics/registration.html.
The competition will begin with two activities that involve competitors arriving at the event ready to compete with things the teams have designed, constructed and tested. The competition titled Bouncing Polymers requires each team to use household ingredients to create a bouncing ball that bounces to the greatest height when dropped from a fixed height. For Carbonated Geysers each team will construct a system such that a Mentos-powered geyser of diet soda pop spews to the greatest height and can be aimed to fill a distant bucket as efficiently as possible.
This year’s “Calculation/Communication Challenge” is Molecular Isomers and will require each team to divide into pairs and cooperatively transform one deadly molecule into an innocuous isomer form.
The others events are an “On-the-Spot Activity” and “Order-of-Magnitude Quiz.”
Each of the four contestants on the team with the best score in the overall competition will receive a $600 scholarship to attend WKU. Medals for the team members and a plaque for the school will be awarded to the top three teams in the overall competition. Certificates will be awarded to the top three teams in each event.
Contact: Richard Gelderman, (270) 745-6203.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Details regarding auditions for The Dance Project at WKU.
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author