Growth in Study Abroad Shows No Sign of Subsiding
|Author: WKU Study Abroad and Global Learning|
Date: Monday, February 18th, 2013
The second successful Study Abroad Fair of the 2012-2013 academic year, held February 6th, demonstrated that momentum of growth in international education programs at WKU continues to build. With a record spring fair attendance of over 360 students, the lobby of Mass Media and Technology Hall stayed in constant motion for the duration of the event, described by one provider representative as “the best winter fair I’ve attended this year.” Others commented that the level of interest of students who visited their tables was notably higher than in the previous semester.
The Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning (SAGL) hosts a Study Abroad Fair each semester with the goal of presenting students with an array of options, ranging from short-term study abroad courses to internships and semester or year-long programs. So far, recruiting efforts have produced encouraging results: current study abroad enrollment numbers are up 10% from last year. The Study Abroad Office is working with faculty and providers to continue that trend into the summer and fall terms. Increasingly, students are recognizing the benefit of enhancing their education through “international reach.”
The bi-annual Study Abroad Fair is considered one of the most important recruiting tools for study abroad programs. While student attendance is the primary measure of the fair’s success, the event also depends upon the support and participation of the many program representatives who set up info tables and spend time in conversation with students. Participants of this semester’s fair include WKU Faculty-Led program leaders, supported by DELO Study Away, as well as other popular study abroad providers like KIIS, Harlaxton, ISA, and Semester at Sea, to mention only a few.
Students were encouraged to apply for financial support through various university scholarship funds as well as external sources such as the Gilman Scholarship. The SAGL Office, which provides the largest amount of funding toward study abroad of any WKU campus unit, hopes to continue building its World Topper Scholarship fund. The application deadline for the award is March 8, 2013. Students were also reminded about scholarships from DELO Faculty-Led Study Abroad, SGA, the Honors College and academic departments.
Each student who attended the fair had the opportunity to enter a drawing for a study abroad scholarship worth $250 toward a short-term program or $500 toward a semester or year abroad. The winners were Kelsey Wilson, a sophomore from Crestwood, KY majoring in Elementary Education, and Ellen Vice, a sophomore from Flemingsburg, KY majoring in Biology with an emphasis in Pre-dental. Ten other students were selected to win t-shirts and study abroad red towels. The scholarship winners have not yet selected a specific study abroad program.
Throughout the rest of the year, the Study Abroad and Global Learning Office will continue to host events and help all students who are interested in adding a life-changing international experience to their academic resume.
For more information on how to study abroad, please contact the SAGL Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 270-745-5334.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,