GFCB Business & Accounting Programs Maintain Accreditation
|Date: Wednesday, March 27th, 2013||Return to Archive|
March 27, 2013
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – Western Kentucky University’s business and accounting programs in the Gordon Ford College of Business have maintained international accreditation by AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) International.
The reaffirmation keeps WKU in the top 178 collegiate schools of business in the world to have both business and accounting programs accredited, Jeff Katz, dean of the Gordon Ford College of Business, said.
“As an applied college of business, ongoing maintenance of accreditation by AACSB International confirms that students in our college receive the most relevant education and training by highly qualified faculty members who are experts in their fields,” Dr. Katz said. “Our programs provide the necessary education and skills to assure long-term student success as leaders of business, active global citizens and ethical participants in society.”
AACSB accreditation has been earned by less than 5 percent of the world’s business programs.
“It takes a great deal of commitment and determination to earn and maintain AACSB accreditation,” Robert D. Reid, executive vice president and chief accreditation officer of AACSB International, said. “Business schools must not only meet specific standards of excellence, but their deans, faculty and professional staff must make a commitment to ongoing continuous improvement to ensure that the institution will continue to deliver the highest quality of education to students.”
All business programs in the Gordon Ford College of Business have been accredited since 1982. The accounting program achieved accreditation in 2009.
Steve Wells, chair of WKU’s Department of Accounting, said the Maintenance Review process is akin to an audit to ensure continuous improvement and high quality in the accounting programs.
“The mission of the accounting programs at WKU is to provide excellent accounting education and prepare students for successful and rewarding careers in accounting and business,” Dr. Wells said. “Everything we do from the day students are admitted to the program to their graduation day is measured against our mission.
“In my opinion, the true measure of the quality of any academic program lies in the quality of its students, its faculty and its staff. Maintaining AACSB separate accounting accreditation speaks volumes about the quality of WKU’s accounting programs.”
Shane Spiller, chair of the Maintenance of Accreditation Committee, said the educational effort extends beyond the classroom.
“We work hard to have outreach in the community and work in the classroom to make sure students understand that what we’re doing is not just theory, it’s applied information that they can take and use,” Dr. Spiller said.
Dr. Katz said that of the reported 12,000 collegiate schools of business world wide, only 178 are accredited in business and accounting programs, making the Gordon Ford College of Business among the top 1 percent of business schools in the world.
“I am honored to serve as the dean of an excellent college of business that is known for highly engaged faculty, staff, students and the business community,” he said. “At the Gordon Ford College of Business, world-class educational excellence is a shared goal.”
About AACSB International
AACSB International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), founded in 1916, is an association of more than 1,300 educational institutions, businesses, and other organizations in 81 countries and territories. AACSB’s mission is to advance quality management education worldwide through accreditation, thought leadership, and value-added services.
As the premier accreditation body for institutions offering undergraduate, master’s, and doctorate degrees in business and accounting, the association also conducts a wide array of conferences and seminar programs at locations throughout the world. AACSB’s global headquarters is located in Tampa, Fla., and its Asia Pacific headquarters is located in Singapore.
For information, contact GFCB Dean Dr. Jeffrey Katz at (270) 745-6311.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,