Spirit of WKU, other awards presented at opening convocation
|Date: Thursday, August 29th, 2013||Return to Archive|
WKU President Gary Ransdell presented the annual Spirit of WKU, diversity and sustainability awards Friday morning (Aug. 23) at the opening convocation at Van Meter Hall.
12th annual Spirit of WKU Award
Jeff Younglove, director of Campus and Community Events, received the 12th Spirit of WKU Award, which recognizes an individual who represents enthusiasm for WKU, loyalty to the institution and principles of the WKU experience and its motto “The Spirit Makes the Master.”
Younglove earned his master’s degree in communication from WKU and has been a fixture on the Hill for nearly 30 years. Younglove’s office manages campus events such as concerts, summer camps, VIP visits, building dedications, 10K Classic, state tournaments and other sporting events, and more.
Younglove has taught public speaking classes, serves as public address announcer for WKU baseball and other sports, does play-by-play and analysis on WKU basketball broadcasts, and reads the names of graduates during Commencement ceremonies.
Younglove’s office in Van Meter Hall is the original office of WKU’s first president Henry Hardin Cherry who coined “The Spirit Makes the Master” motto.
13th annual President’s Award for Diversity
Community: Shannah Banks, director of education for the Housing Authority of Bowling Green. In addition to providing educational enrichment and development programs for youth from nine nationalities, Banks coaches youth league sports, volunteers with numerous community organizations, has developed a youth mentorship program and has worked with WKU’s Confucius Institute on a program that allows minority high school students to participate in the Chinese Summer Bridge Summer Camp.
Employee: Dr. Monica Burke, assistant professor in the Department of Counseling and Student Affairs and assistant to the Chief Diversity Officer. In addition to her current position, Dr. Burke has served WKU in several roles since 1998 with the Governor’s Minority Student College Preparation Program, Office of Diversity Programs and NAACP/NASA STEM Scholars Academy.
Student: Brittany Prather, a May 2013 graduate who is pursuing a graduate degree at WKU. She has served as a Spirit Master, has been a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Black Student Alliance and S.I.S.T.E.R.S., and has volunteered at the Housing Authority of Bowling Green.
The award recognizes recipients who represent a clear demonstration of exemplary leadership and achievement in promoting diversity at WKU and the communities it serves.
3rd annual President’s Award for Sustainability
Faculty/staff: Dr. Jennifer Tougas, director of Parking and Transportation Services. Under her leadership, Parking and Transportation has improved options for transit, bicycling, walking and carpooling, has funded innovative and ecological parking lot designs, and has supported the Big Red Bikes program. She is a member of the WKU sustainability committee and serves on several community organizations.
Student: Angela Briggs, a junior sociology major at WKU-Glasgow Campus. Briggs is one of the founders of the WKU-Glasgow Greentoppers and has participated in several sustainability events including Buy Your Own, Awaken the Dreamer symposium, Earth Day rain barrel workshop and Tour de Farm community bike ride and farm-to-table meal.
Faculty award recipients
Provost Gordon Emslie formally recognized the following faculty award recipients, who were announced during May commencement ceremonies: Dr. Andrew Wulff, Department of Geography and Geology, excellence in teaching; Lindsay Oesterritter, Department of Art, excellence in research/creativity; Dr. Nancy Rice, Department of Biology, excellence in public service; and Dr. Fred Gibson, Department of Kinesiology, Recreation and Sport, excellence in student advising.
University Distinguished Professors
Dr. Emslie also recognized Dr. Kam C. “Johnny” Chan, the Leon Page Endowed Professor in Finance, and Dr. Claus Ernst, mathematics professor, as WKU’s newest University Distinguished Professors.
More: For more about the 2013 convocation, visit http://wkunews.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/convocation-2013/ or http://www.wku.edu/convocation
Contact: Public Affairs, (270) 745-5428.
- All Categories
- Academic Outreach
- Continuing & Professional Development
- Distance Learning
- Summer Sessions
- Winter Term
- Career & Workforce Development
- Lifelong Learning
- Society for Lifelong Learning
- WKU On Demand
- Study Away
- Faculty-Led Study Abroad
- Center for Faculty Development
- Cohort Programs
- Dual Credit
- Conferencing & Catering
- All Categories
- March 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- April 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- JUNE 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2015 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2015 E-Newsletter
- December 2015 ICYMI
- January 2016 ICYMI
- MAY 2016 ICYMI
- February 2016 ICYMI
- CHHS July 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2016 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Saturday Aug 28th and Sunday Aug 29th
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,