The Medical Center-WKU Health Sciences Complex Opens
|Date: Thursday, October 3rd, 2013||Return|
*Original story was posted on WKU News. Please visit http://wkunews.wordpress.com/2013/08/22/health-sciences-opening/ to read the original story.
The Medical Center-WKU Health Sciences Complex officially opened Thursday (Aug. 22) with a Bowling Green Area Chamber of Commerce Ribbon Cutting. The 73,471-square-foot, three-story facility was constructed at a cost of $15.6 million.
“It is rewarding to see a project that will have such a significant impact on healthcare come to fruition,” said Connie Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer of Commonwealth Health Corporation, parent company of The Medical Center. “The Medical Center-WKU Health Sciences Complex will benefit the hospital and university with much needed educational space. The community will also reap the benefits as this facility will help advance healthcare in Southcentral Kentucky by providing highly educated and trained healthcare professionals.”
WKU President Gary Ransdell said The Medical Center-WKU Health Sciences Complex provides much needed space for nursing and doctorate of physical therapy programs.
The Health Sciences Complex will provide space for The Medical Center to offer advanced training with sophisticated technology for its clinical staff. Twenty percent will be used by the hospital for a conference center and bed labs. The bed labs will utilize patient simulators including an iStan virtual patient. This electronic, interactive patient has pupils that dilate, vital signs that respond to anesthesia, and other life-like responses. Training and education with state-of-the-art equipment such as iStan assures a high standard of skills and knowledge of the hospital’s clinical staff.
WKUy will benefit from much needed space that will house its nursing and doctorate of physical therapy programs. Eighty percent of the facility will be used by the university to accommodate assembly, training, classroom and business functions for WKU. The university has doubled its enrollment for the nursing program with 80 students scheduled to start the fall 2013 semester on Monday (Aug. 26).
“It is our responsibility to ensure a well-trained workforce to meet the needs of the region’s healthcare providers,” said WKU President Gary A. Ransdell. “Thanks to The Medical Center, we now have an exceptional space in which to expand our programs and double the number of nursing students at WKU. This building is also home to our new Doctor of Physical Therapy program, which opened to 30 students earlier this summer. We are grateful for this partnership with The Medical Center, and we applaud the city and county for the visionary leadership to expand the Tax Increment Financing district to include this project.”
The Medical Center issued bonds to pay for construction. WKU will lease the facility from The Medical Center for 25 years, income from which will be used toward debt service and operating expenses.
The facility is located at 700 First Ave. on the edge of the hospital’s campus that borders 31W Bypass. Stengel Hill Architecture designed the facility to allow for future expansion. Scott, Murphy & Daniel, LLC served as the general contractor.
A ribbon cutting ceremony was held August 22 for The Medical Center-WKU Health Sciences Complex. (WKU photo by Clinton Lewis)
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Wednesday, December 17th to Sunday, January 20th
Reduced services will be in effect during the Winter Break.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,