Institute for Rural Health to Continue Allen Dental Program
|Date: Monday, November 4th, 2013||Return|
*Original story from http://wkunews.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/irh-allen-grant/
WKU’s Institute for Rural Health has received an $8,000 grant to continue a dental services partnership with the Allen County Health Department.
The health department secured the funds through the Kentucky Department of Public Health. They will be used to support the Mobile Dental Unit, which will continue to provide preventative dental services primarily to second and seventh graders in Allen County in 2013-14.
“The funds will be used to purchase dental supplies for the MDU as well as toothbrushes, toothpaste and other home hygiene products for the children treated on the MDU,” said Bonny Petty, registered dental hygienist and principal investigator for the project.
Since the partnership began in 2004, the IRH has provided dental exams, sealants, dental referrals and oral health education to more than 2,000 children, she said.
“The IRH has accomplished this by engaging IRH staff and students from the WKU’s Dental Hygiene program,” Petty said. “This project gives the WKU students an opportunity to observe the unmet oral health needs in the community while giving them an opportunity to meet those needs.”
During the 2012-2013 school year, 87 dental exams were provided to the students at Allen County Primary Center and James Bazzell Middle School. Additionally, 182 dental sealants were placed and 142 cavities were detected. Referral letters were sent to the parent or legal guardian for all children who participated in the services offered.
Contact: Bonny Petty, (270) 745-8846.
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
(CNN) -- Juicing -- if you believe its avid fans -- is a great way to detox the body, prevent disease and lose weight.
Are you killing it in the gym but not seeing results? Chances are, you've fallen victim to bad advic
Order by July 15th to be eligible for a prize giveaway!