WKU Students Make World Their Classroom During Winter Term
|Author: Jerry Barnaby|
Date: Monday, January 13th, 2014
During this month’s three-week Winter Term, 20 WKU faculty are expanding their classrooms and helping WKU students create a unique global learning experience through Faculty-Led Study Abroad (FLSA) with 10 programs spanning four continents. From the jungles of Peru to the Great Wall of China to the plains of Kenya, students are making the world their classroom.
The Division of Extended Learning & Outreach (DELO) FLSA scholarship encourages students to create their own experience by developing projects to enhance learning and impact their world. Dental hygiene students Hayley Middleton and Ann Marie Adcock are traveling with their Global Healthy & Service Learning class to Belize to teach children about dental hygiene. They created a children’s book starring “DELO the Flossing Monkey” to encourage early preventative oral health.
“As future professionals, we want to make a lasting change in the dental field,” Middleton said. “This book is a good start, and the children can keep them to share with others once we leave.”
Middleton and Adcock made the books by hand and plan to distribute them to children in Belize. Each book is hand-made and unique, containing fun and visual examples of good oral health, like proper brushing, flossing and rinsing.
“We have learned how important preventative oral hygiene is,” Adcock said. “Now it’s our job to inform children and their parents who often don’t realize the importance of keeping primary teeth healthy.”
According to WKU Study Away Director Jerry Barnaby, Study Away administers WKU Faculty-Led Study Abroad programs in partnership with faculty, academic departments & colleges and WKU Study Abroad & Global Learning.
“The goal of FLSA is to help faculty expand students’ understanding of the world around them through global study,” Barnaby said. “The DELO award gives an added incentive to use the study abroad experience to make a difference.”
For information on FLSA programs, visit www.wku.edu/flsa/ or contact the Office of Study Away at (270) 745-2231. Or check out FLSA on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WkuFacultyLedStudyAbroad and Twitter at https://twitter.com/WKUabroad
Faculty-Led Study Abroad Programs are administered by Study Away, in partnership with faculty and staff program leaders, their academic units, Study Abroad & Global Learning and the Office of International Programs. Study Away is a unit of Extended Learning & Outreach.
Contact: Jerry Barnaby, (270) 745-2231 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Categories
- CHHS October 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS October 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2012 E-Newsletter
- CHHS January 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS March 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May/June 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2013 E-Newsletter
- Archived CHHS News
- CHHS October 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS November 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS December 2013 E-Newsletter
- CHHS February 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS April 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2014 E-Newsletter
- CHHS September 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS August 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS July 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS June 2011 E-Newsletter
- CHHS May 2011 E-Newsletter
Details regarding upcoming auditions for the WKU Theatre & Dance production of Lily Plants a Garden.
Details regarding auditions for The Enchanted Attic at WKU
Details regarding auditions for The Dance Project at WKU.
Announcement regarding last minute addition to class schedule: Musical Theatre Ensemble.
Announcement about Theatre & Dance Convocation for Fall 2014 semester.
Detailed information about an upcoming audition for Six Characters in Search of an Author